Talk:Comparison of editors
Discuss Comparison of editors
This page needs quite a lot of rewriting to make it less partial and more up-to-date - I've removed the old stuff from it as a first step. --Richard 10:13, 20 September 2007 (BST)
- That was an old discussion point ...although this page does need to be kept up to date. I've just rejigged to show Potlatch 2 in place of Potlatch 1 for example. Perhaps we should now be featuring mobile app editors on here (?) -- Harry Wood 15:56, 3 January 2012 (UTC)
Potlatch 1 characters bug
With Potlach I still have problems trying to use nonascii characters in tag values. When I press the respective key in the input field, I get a strange looking string instead of a single symbol, both for german Umlaut and for roumanian special characters, like 'ȘșȚțĂăÂâÎî'. If I compose the tag value in another input field of Iceweasel, I get the correct string. This can be copied to the tag value input field. For some characters I get strange looking Symbols, but they are displayed correctly afterwards on the map. I'm using a Debiam Lenny System, with flashplugin-nonfree 188.8.131.52 on Iceweasel. --Guenter 11:35, 13 July 2008 (UTC)
- Guess that got fixed a long time ago. In any case this was the wrong place to report the bug! -- Harry Wood 15:56, 3 January 2012 (UTC)
Are different editors using different symbols or same symbols on the map ?
This page is obviously written to make a choice when one starts to edit for the first time.
A not experienced user as myself, will wonder if the use of several map editors might cause the map to be loaded with graphic informations and symbols, indicating the same things, but using different symbols.
Making the map more confusing is not the wanted result. A paragraph on this subject will help to understand what changes will result on the map, depending which editor is used. -- Merel 469
- No, all editors are interoperable. The symbols and map preview you see in the editors are just used by the editors. Not this exactly is saved into the main database but just information what the objects are in reality (tags). See the data of one of your last edits.
If several editors would use different tag presents or if you would use different tags manually, then, yes, then you would cause the map to be loaded with informations, indicating the same things, but using different tags.
- I hope that was understandable. It would be good if you could suggest a sentence or paragraph which conveys this information and would be understandable to "not experienced [users]" like you.
- Side note: please type --~~~~ or click the pencil icon at the end of your talk texts here in the wiki. --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 13:15, 4 February 2014 (UTC)