Discuss Forum here:
Can't log in
The forums do not work for me, I can neither login with my OSM password, nor can I register a new account ("This forum is not accepting new registrations")
Which is the correct way for new users to discuss various topics?
User:Erik de - 10:03, 19 September 2009
- They were moving the forums to a new server. I think that was actually happening at around 10a.m. yesterday, so I imagine there might have been a short period when logins were not working. Try again now.
- You should be able to log in to the forum with your main OSM account username and password (main OSM login. If you don't already have this, see Creating an Account. This is not the same as your OSM wiki login. You never need to create an account directly at the forum site)
- -- Harry Wood 11:11, 19 September 2009 (UTC)
Are there any sources for "it is currently used by fewer people than the mailing lists"? Do we know how many posts/mails per day the forum (and all the lists) have? It seems that some national communities use the forum much more than mailing lists - compare Users:Russia and talk-ru, for example. --Tordanik 17:35, 30 August 2012 (BST)
- Yeah I wrote that, not based on actual stats, but because it was clearly true for english and most other languages. It's helpful information for newbies who might hang out on the forum and get the impression the OSM community is more small/inactive than it actually is. But I was conscious that it's kind of self-reinforcing. Personally I would actually prefer it if the community was on the forum and not on the mailing lists, but the fact is, the mailing list is where it's at...
- ...except for Russian speakers. You're right. The forum does seem very popular for Russian speakers hey? I have tweaked the wording on the page a little
- Actual usage stats could be interesting. I suppose a "posts per month" measure would be comparable.
- -- Harry Wood 19:39, 30 August 2012 (BST)
- Ah, here is a discussion. I had first choked at the sentence on the page, commented it, and then looked here. I see so good possibility for a message count in the forum (except a RSS feed collection for one month, but currently I do not have one). But for the German community I would say activity is roughly equally shared. I had an attempt at a more neutral wording unless we know some better facts. --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 12:09, 11 February 2014 (UTC)
- If anyone is interested in trying to extract some statistics, I can contribute a bunch of screenshots and forum frontpage saves from around the beginning of each month since September 2012 (manually created, so they are unfortunately not always on the 1st as they should be). There are total post counts for each subforum on there, so I guess you could cobble together some graphs based on that. --Tordanik 18:09, 11 February 2014 (UTC)