All this is no more relevant but kept for records
- Put the "hiking" layer as default layer, so even the super-newbie will enjoy this without navigating in the selection menu!
- I plan to use a dedicated domain name like openhikingmap.org to have an exclusive access to the hiking
- map. Sletuffe 12:32, 2 August 2009 (UTC)
- Allready registered domain ;-) so I had a go with one I allready have, : Hiking maps direct access
Bulk download detected
"... contact me if this is a mistake" - seems to be a notorious problem when browsing around with Android App Locus on a tablet device. This is great pitty as OpenHikingMap is the only really great OSM based map showing topographics on every scale. Tiles showing the "bulk download detected" message can not be reloaded easily, except by deleting this map's cache completely, which obviously makes things even worse. Would be happy to donate for a subscription!
- At least I have changed the http status code, applications can now know the request was refused and avoid storing the image into their local cache sletuffe 11:57, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
- It doesn't happen anymore, people are now slown down when requesting too much tiles sletuffe 03:04, 20 October 2012 (BST)
But, please consider for a new faster server.. osm community could help you! As you know, when there are more than 3-4 users browsing the map it become very slow! Alessio
- Yeah, that's my number one problem. I'm mostly lacking of main memory on the server. 2Go is too few for
- the current setup, so I'm forced to limit concurrent access to 10 simultaneous tile request max (wich is
- low ). But the way I setup things is not optimal as well. Both have to be improved.
- But it's either a time cost or a money cost...
- I'll think about a community help. Sletuffe 12:32, 2 August 2009 (UTC)
- Note that I'm always happy to ear someone who whants to help ! But I'm reluctant to beg for that.... sletuffe 13:51, 31 October 2010 (UTC)
- Have you considered asking the community for voluntary contributions via paypal? I'd certainly make a (small) donation, and I suspect others would, given the usefulness of this as an OSM map. Is there any way to offer a subscription service on a dedicated 'subscribers' server, where folks pay a small fee/month to get access to a more beefy server? For me - this would have to work with apps like Outdoor-Atlas or Viewranger on the Android though... Andybryant 15:26, 14 August 2011 (BST)
- With the use of mod_tile and restriction to europe, it operates at "acceptable" speed sletuffe 03:04, 20 October 2012 (BST)