Talk:Hillshading using the Alpha Channel of an Image
From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Notes about the script for generating these tiles
- Doesn't use Metatiles
- Has artifacts at the edges of the raw DEM "tiles"
- Experiment with combined lighting rather than a single light
- Use dynamic, on-the-fly rendering, rather than pre-rendering? Might be very memory intensive.
- Use single-step hillshading and alpha-channel modification to save time (don't write intermediate file to disk)
- Some claim there is a ~50-Meter offset to the ground truth
- Use GDAL for the hillshading step, not PerryGeo's demtools