Research and scientific offices and institutes
Political parties are not NGOs!
We need a tag for the (local or federal) headquarters or offices of political parties. office=government doesn't fit because the party is not necessarily in power, and even if it is, we need to differentiate between government issues and party business. office=ngo (a tag often used in Germany in OSM) is ruled out by this Wikipedia definition: "The term is usually applied only to organizations that [...] are not overtly political organizations such as political parties" (). amenity=public_building is discouraged (for good reasons). Therefore I think that we should introduce something like office=party or office=political_party. --Head 00:36, 31 August 2010 (BST)
- I agree, what about office=campaign ? -- JohnSmith 03:43, 31 August 2010 (BST)
- In many countries the offices of the political parties does nothing with campaigning, but generally membership issues, archives, and other internal issues, and in addition might be a seat for party board meetings. In both Norway and Brazil campaign offices are mobile, and only open during election campaigning (2-3 months before election day until day before election) --Skippern 04:28, 31 August 2010 (BST)
At the time of making the initial subsets of government, quango and ngo, I would have fitted a political party office into a non-government organisation. As it appears now that is not the way to go, I'd put office=political_party. office=party would not be specific enough.
There are places specialized in providing wedding services: catering, decoration, photographer/videocameraman, illumination, gifts, flowers...
It will cover bussiness that provides wedding organization services. It is not to cover places wich provides only wedding dresses, which will be best covered by shop=clothes with clothes=wedding or, as it is actually being discussed in the mailing list, shop=bride_dresses. --Envite 14:32, 28 September 2010 (BST)
- Hi, Aren't the same companies arrange other kind of events, parties, company parties, concerts, weddings, etc? I don't know the correct English term, but directly translated from Hungarian it would say: program_organizer, or could be event_organizer? I can imagine there are a few who does weddings only, but most of them do all kind of events here. Kempelen 20:29, 29 May 2011 (BST)
- Seems reasonable to me, they are 2 different jobs. -- JohnSmith 00:37, 18 January 2011 (UTC)
- office=surveyor can be a governmental agency (official land survey), part of risk and damage evaluation for insurance purposes, or public opinion and statistics. I guess a private / government-detached company working within one of these three fields could defend using office=surveyor - I do a little freelance surveying when I have time (shipping/offshore related, often part of risk or damage evaluation for insurance and warenty) and much of these jobs are through companies working only within these fields (one of them have some 50 offices in close to 30 different countries). --Skippern 18:52, 12 September 2012 (BST)
What about vehicle registration center/offices? I would suggest "office=vehicle_registration"
- I would tag it as office=administrative, because these are district institutions (at least in Germany). --Head 10:41, 8 August 2011 (BST)
church administration office
We need a value for church offices. I'm not thinking so much about offices in every parish, but office of a church body, diocesis etc. What about office=church?--Geogast 22:30, 21 January 2012 (UTC)
- I think the word "church" limits it to Christian institutions. What about office=religion? Then you could combine it with religion=* and denomination=*. --Head 17:51, 22 January 2012 (UTC)
- Yes, you're right! It's better that way--Geogast 09:33, 23 January 2012 (UTC)
Currently the wiki page does not tell how the offices of international organizations should be tagged. There exists office=government but international organizations are not part of the local government. Therefore, I think we should use a generic value for international organizations.
([http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/office=international_organization#overview use of "international_organization" according to Taginfo)