Talk:London/Summer 2008 Mapping Party Marathon
Not a weekend?
Is it not better organise these on weekend days?
I don't think many people will be able to attend this. For example I'm keen to go to any mapping party in London, but I shall be at work, so couldn't get to Stockwell on a weekday until about 7p.m. Then there's people like User:TomH who are normally keen, would not find it worth the journey in to London, just for a few hours of mapping. Better to make it a whole day thing on a Saturday or Sunday if you want to attract more people.
-- Harry Wood 11:56, 19 April 2008 (UTC)
- I think these are in addition to any weekend stuff that gets organised - trying out new ways of doing things. I for one generally have many more weekdays were I can spend a few hours in the summer(ish) evenings whereas weekends are often fairly busy unless booked months in advance! Gravitystorm 10:33, 21 April 2008 (UTC)
- The idea is to try a new form of mapping party, where we do some mapping for a few hours then meetup afterwards in a pub or elsewhere. It won't work for everyone, however if it allows people in the local area to meetup on a regular basis, for some real life discussion, great. If it brings some new people to the community, then even better. There is no rigid time for the meetup in the pub. Over the series of mapping parties, we can try out a variety of different things, to see what works and what doesn't. Smsm1 11:08, 21 April 2008 (UTC)
- Yeah I guess it could be an interesting experiment. Just checking you weren't expecting a massive turn-out. As I say, I'll not be able to get down to Stockwell till later, but I guess I might come along, bag a few street names, then see you in the pub at 7:30pm. -- Harry Wood 11:30, 21 April 2008 (UTC)
- That sounds like a great idea. If you want to spend half an hour or an hour mapping on the way, and meet us at the pub a bit later, your more than welcome. It's likely that there will be a staggered arrival at the pub annyway. Smsm1 13:59, 21 April 2008 (UTC)
- Actually these "mapping evenings" are attracting quite a few people each time. Worked well so far. -- Harry Wood 14:38, 15 May 2008 (UTC)
I hope to turn up to some of the parties later in the summer - at least when my AS-levels are out of the way... :) --Thomas Wood 17:48, 29 April 2008 (UTC)
Potential target areas
Isle of Dogs: The Isle of Dogs seems to be mostly traced, but apart from Canary Wharf not properly tagged. --Amm 12:00, 2 May 2008
- Coming up ;-) Smsm1 10:26, 15 May 2008 (UTC)
Around Langdon Park particularly to the West, appears to be industrial estate from the sat, and is mostly blank land in OSM. Smsm1 10:26, 15 May 2008 (UTC)
- Blank on the map, but there's untagged ways sketched in around there (Actually untagged ways is the correct approach for sketching as per Yahoo! Aerial Imagery#How to sketch? but in London most have had highway tags added) -- Harry Wood 14:35, 15 May 2008 (UTC)
- Could also fill in a few gaps on the Lansbury Estate? Gordo 13:57, 20 May 2008 (UTC)
Hyde park corner?
What's the big idea for Hyde Park Corner? It's well mapped around there. Are we just going directly to the pub next Wednesday? :-) -- Harry Wood 09:45, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Postboxes? Edward 10:50, 29 August 2008 (UTC)