Original proposal page.
A spring is a point where groundwater naturaly flows out of the ground.
Spring are generally small feature, but of great importance in the landscape. Men have been looking for the source of the Nile since the Romans. The possession of the source of major rivers is prestigious (see the dispute for Danube sources). Some spring are impressive, like the fontaine du Vaucluse. Magical power is often associate with hot springs.
<tag k="waterway" v="spring"/> <tag k="name" v="St. Pertersquelle"/>
Maybe some additional informations are important
- intermittent or perennial
- drinkable, mineral, hot water, salty spring
- commercial name, if it's taped and bottled (Evian, San Pellegrino, etc.)
- artesian well
- hot water, temperature, main components
- amenity=drinking_water Place to get "drinking water" in smaller amounts for personal usage (hiking, spa, ...)
- waterway=water_point Place to get larger amounts of "drinking water" e.g. for caravans
- amenity=fountain A fountain for cultural / decorational / recreational purposes.
- Water well (not in Map Features yet) A man made excavation in the ground to gain water from an aquifer.
- Proposed features/Cave Some spring, especially resurgence are also cave
- Proposed features/Volcano Hot springs may be associated with volcanic features