Talk:Proposed features/*=vehicle depot
I like your proposition in general, because it better uses existing categories, however it looks it would be problem when tagging tram depot: how one should tag railway=tram + railway=depot? Probably you need some other description, like: railway:tram=depot. --Kocio (talk) 12:36, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
- I added mention of depot subtag (idea from Proposed features/Depot). So tram depot may be tagged as landuse=commercial commercial=depot depot=tram Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 12:53, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
- What landuse should we use for example for tram depot? I am not sure commercial is the right one for depots in genral, maybe rather industrial or even railway. What is the justification? BTW: tram depot should be added to examples as it is very popular and the system is not that clear. Kocio (talk) 14:03, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
Thanks for adding the examples, but I still need some background why do you propose such landuses, because this is not clear for me. In particular:
- I don't know how to recognize "tram depot, operated as part of a railway system" from regular tram depot and I think this is artificial obstacle, because all the tram lines belong to the railway=* namespace anyway.
- I still don't get why bus depot should be treated as commercial rather than industrial entity - "Predominantly offices, business parks, etc." (business activity) is worse match for depots than "Predominantly workshops, factories or warehouses" (not only factories, but also other technical infrastructure). Visual hint: AFAIK landuse=railway uses the same color as industrial, so I expect bus depot to be in the same category.
Database hint: commercial=depot is not even used, while industrial=depot and railway=depot already are:
I have a problem with landuse=construction + construction=depot. Typically the construction key is used to store what the finished feature will be, e.g. highway=construction+construction=primary and the wiki page for construction=* suggests it may also be used on landuse. Breaking this would be confusing. —M!dgard [ talk ] 12:59, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
- Also: would you have to split the construction site (even making a multipolygon) to add a vehicle depot on it?
____________ 1: landuse=construction | ___ | name=OpenStreetMap Foundation HQ | | 2 | | | 1 |___| | 2: landuse=construction |____________| construction=depot
- —M!dgard [ talk ] 13:11, 3 August 2015 (UTC)