Is this a good idea at all?
This tag seems very flimsy to me. We map physical things, clubs are logical things. We should map a building, perhaps as a club house (where a club meets). Some buildings are used by many clubs, for example a community centre might host many different club meetings every month, often in a single room. Chillly 21:53, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
- Thank you. The tag is about club base/house. I prefer club and not club_base because is shorter and less typo-error-prone. I could transform it in club_base/house if club alone could be hard to understand that is referred to the place where the club meets. --Alessioz 22:26, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
- What is a "tourist club"? However, one might add whatever s/he wants -- this is a key like office=* or shop=*, values might be freely added by users (just.. let's try to keep the list consistent). Tools like "Taginfo" are very helpful for this kind of keys. So yes, you can use club=tourist, if that's unambiguous. --Hanska 08:44, 14 June 2011 (BST)
- Tourist club - club of tourist who go hiking, mountain hiking, bicycle tours, rafting, etc. Sorry, my English is not good. --Canabis 09:47, 14 June 2011 (BST)
Club for Automobilist and Cyclists
I propose 2 additional values:
--Dieterdreist 10:31, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
It might be worth adding a See Also section and commenting on how these other proposals/tags might be affected, or how they might affect this proposal:
- Proposed_features/social_club - older proposal at same status as this one
- amenity=club - as used by Nominatim (search wiki for club)
- amenity=nightclub - well used current tag
- perhaps other variants in use or mentioned in this wiki
"club" has many meanings in different languages
I fear that this proposal would only work in Italy, as it is based on the Italian use of the word. A "club" is in the first place an organisation, not a mappable place. And other countries use the word again in different ways. What you have in mind is more like the British "social_club". There is a proposal for this but that also has the problem of being country-specific. I do not have a specific proposal, but I would be inclined to put it under "amenity" (even though in most cases access is restricted to members or similar) or may-be propose a new tag that indicates that this is location where people meet ("meeting_place"?) Volker 09:23, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
- Yes, club is an organization but even craft is a skill, not a place. Is good to search meaningful tags in plain language but they will always be a convention and a simplification. We could use clubhouse=* but it will not fit for clubs that meet outdoor in a pitch.
We have to think if this tag could lead to major misunderstandings, for example:
- If a newbie finds in the map a node tagged as club=fishing, could this be mysterious? How could be interpreted?
- Other examples?
--Alessioz 12:30, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
What about private clubs ? where access is restriction to "members only" ? --Pieren 13:59, 2 December 2011 (UTC)