Talk:Proposed features/Homeless Shelter
From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Return to Proposed_features/Homeless_Shelter
- Liz recalled a discussion which covered orphanages, old people's homes
- Richard Welty mentioned facilities that support minors
- Charity - Proposed_features/charity
- Many charities do not provide services specifically to homeless. --Sean Horgan, 15:00, 7 September 2010 (EDT)
André Reitel listed the following similar features
- Residential_home explicitly states that "This is not intended for shelters (e.g. for the homeless), or temporary homes for people having experienced domestic violence." --Sean Horgan, 15:00, 7 September 2010 (EDT)
- Nursing home is more specific to the elderly that require assisted care.
- I like this. I'm going to start a separate thread on this --Sean Horgan, 15:00, 7 September 2010 (EDT)
- --vsandre 16:15, 4 September 2010 (BST)
How to get a hold of user kerosin? I'd like to integrate my proposal into social_facility.
- --Sean Horgan, 15:00, 7 September 2010 (EDT)
Using the building tag
- Peter Wendorff and Sam Vekemans suggested using building=homeless_shelter in certain cases
- Both Cartinus and Martin Koppenhoefer stated that the building tag describes things about the building structure
- I agree, the building tag doesn't seem appropriate --Sean Horgan, 15:00, 7 September 2010 (EDT)
Govt or Privately Funded
- Sam Vekemans asked if this feature, i.e. a homeless shelter, is government or privately funded.
- I was not planning to cover funding sources as most charities get money from both and it is constantly changing. Is there a reason to capture this on the map? --Sean Horgan, 15:00, 7 September 2010 (EDT)
US Census Tiger tagging schema
- Sam Vekemans mentioned that this feature could be covered by the US Census Tiger tagging schema.
- Is this this case? I'm not familiar with this schema. How would this impact this proposal --Sean Horgan, 15:00, 7 September 2010 (EDT)
- I'm not very comfortable with the usual/international setup of homeless shelters, but if these are buildings normally, I would prefer building=homeless_shelter as amenity is this big pot collecting everything not fitting to other tags.
- See the comment above on using the building tag. --Sean Horgan, 15:00, 7 September 2010 (EDT)
- Why not introduce social=*? Also space for hospices, sheltered workshops etc. --Reclus 11:35, 4 September 2010 (BST)
- the description should be more detailed : is that for buildings, permanent structures, temporary, camp sites ? -- Pieren 13:17, 4 September 2010 (BST)
- Description will be updated to reflect that this feature can describe all of the above, i.e. permanent and temporary facilities, as well as fixed structures liked building, mobile ones like trailers (e.g. FEMA trailers for Hurricane Katrina), or camp sites. --Sean Horgan, 15:00, 7 September 2010 (EDT)
No comments on how this feature should be rendered.