Talk:Proposed features/Relation:postal code
From OpenStreetMap Wiki
This proposal doesn't looks good to me, this is using relations as categories. I would much support a postal code surface based system. Sletuffe 14:00, 6 June 2009 (UTC)
- It is highly used in Germany (may be not in France) but it is certainly not obsolete...
- The way it is used in Germany is geographical, as a surface-based boundary. So yes it is not really relation type=postal_code, but type=boundary+boundary=postal_code (may be the remaining ones should be converted).
- Note that for the construction of these relations, it may still be necessary to collect isolated nodes (most boundaries are drafts surrounding these nodes, and more or less following the admin boundaries, with various local exceptions), but it is not really a collection (we're not talking about special non-geographic postal codes that may be used on specific POIs, but not for address nodes).
- Note that the page here describes only "boundary" ways.
- Before obsoleting this page, you should include a link to the boundary relation page. Obsoleting a page without indicating how to convert the remaining tags is not a good solution.
- Note also that some countries have postal codes not assigned to areas but per street or sections of streets, others don't assign addresses with streets but with "blocks", that have names but no real "street" numbering: house numbers are allocated for all nodes in that block, indepoendantly of their (unnamed) streets: e.g. in Japan, including in Tokyo, or in some countries of South America. — Verdy_p (talk) 21:14, 12 July 2016 (UTC)