Talk:Proposed features/historic marker
This proposal was abandoned. I am reactivating the proposal as I would like to see this as an officially supported feature.
Consistent use of the "historic" key
Please consider whether this proposal would be consistent with other uses of the key "historic".
From the images it looks as though the feature that is being recorded is the historic feature, not the marker itself.
A tag of "historic=marker" would suggest that it is the marker that is historic.
The markers in the pictures appear to be modern information panels, or interpretation boards.
- The use of "historic" for a historic feature is true for most uses; However, the two cases that I mention in the proposal, "historic=monument" and "historic=memorial" do not always tag a historic feature. For example, in Washington, DC, the WWII memorial opened in 2004 and it has a "historic=memorial" tag. In this case, the memorial represents a historic person or occurrence.
- Based on the two responses I have received, it appears the consensus is to mark them as information boards. I will give this a few more days then see about what it takes to change the information board tag to include historical marker monuments.
- CaliforniaBear (talk) 03:03, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- Just had another idea. Would this be better as "tourism=historicmarker".
- CaliforniaBear (talk) 03:41, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- See the Talk in the maillinglist: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-April/013479.html
- We have historic=memorial with memorial:type=plate (see on Wikipedia)
- and we have information=board with board_type=history (A board with historical information about this place. In use 5741x).
- For more information about history on map, see Historische Objekte.
- --Reneman (talk) 10:11, 1 May 2013 (UTC)