Talk:Removing unwayed segments
No more segments
Very good idea, I was always wondering about the real need for that. I think that will lead to less "ghost" data and makes mapping easier. A real step forward!--Yps 16:23, 27 September 2007 (BST)
"Mapping in progress" information
Wouldn't it be better to tag unwayed segments somehow, before converting them to ways? Some information is lost by just turning them into ways, since, I suppose, quite a few people were using unwayed segments to indicate "mapping in progress" or "missing features" or things like that. I think an 'unwayed=true', or however you'd prefer to call it, would be best to introduce before the conversion. LjL 00:40, 29 September 2007 (BST)
- The new ways will be untagged. An untagged way can never be regarded as finished. The lack of any tags is a clear indication that there is still work to be done.
- Well... I say "clear", but it wont work as well as it used to. It used to be that the various software accidentally supported "sketched" roads rather well. Sketch in road layouts using unwayed segments, and you used to see these as green rather than blue in the default JOSM install, and more crucially, as sketchy grey lines in the tiles@home osmarender layer.
- Going forward, I'd suggest that untagged ways need to show up in different colours in JOSM. I guess it's likely they will in the new version (after all the green colour will be going spare if there's no more segments) I'd also suggest that untagged ways should show up in the map renderings as grey lines. Thats maybe more debateable, but I've always been keen to promote Yahoo#Sketching over the imagery as a useful way of doing things.
- -- Harry Wood 05:32, 29 September 2007 (BST)
- "I'd suggest that untagged ways need to show up in different colours in JOSM" : +1 to that. I definatly agree. Ben 14:40, 6 October 2007 (BST)
- Green is now surely free as a colour to use (i.e. the same for unwayed segs). Richard B 19:41, 6 October 2007 (BST)