Merge with leisure=swimming_pool?
The above shows the current tag usage stats. The following discussions points are added at some earlier point in time
As of 2010-12-01, this is the most common tag in the OSM database used for representing a swimming pool, and is 4 times as common as the currently documented leisure=swimming_pool : http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=swimming+pool#values. The amenity=* namespace is perhaps not the best place for this type of feature, but I'm just documenting what I see in the database right now. Personally I like leisure=swimming_pool far better than this, but hey. Document what's out there. --achadwick 14:02, 1 December 2010 (UTC)
I think this would be better as a leisure=swimming_pool than a amenity=swimming_pool, as amenity=* seems to be more 'touristy,' and swimming pools are more of a short-term activity. Also, leisure=water_park is a leisure. However, there is a difference between public pools and private pools, like you find in an apartment complex, hotel, HOA, so I think adding a public=yes or public=no tag to the pool would be valuable. Tahongawaka 06:32, 10 December 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, let's merge. As of March 2011, there are more leisure tags than amenity, and Mapink and osmarender only render leisure tags. ponzu 2:01 PM, 26 March 2011 (PST)
- the stats show 133 673 versus 42 641 in favour of leisure= over amenity= now. This shift has been seen with some other tags where early in the project history we had more stuff lumped into Key:amenity. However...
- There's more debate on this over at Proposed features/Swimming pool and more people defending the old amenity tag. Also as someone's pointed out there, Potlatch2 simple view sets the amenity= tag, despite listing it under both amenity and leisure categories. So this debate isn't over yet.
- Also I'd suggest not a page merge initially, but just a more prominent label placed on the lesser used tag docs directing people to the "right" place. Not sure if we've reached the point where even that should be done yet.
- -- Harry Wood 16:42, 14 February 2012 (UTC)
- OK 2016. I see the stats show a strong shift to leisure from amenity. 35309 versus 9361, and Math1985 has gone ahead and labelled this as discouraged. I described some other aspects of the changeover on the page there. Potlatch 2 presets still needs sorting out -- Harry Wood (talk) 14:09, 12 February 2016 (UTC)
Trying out this new TagHistory tool comparing these tags:
Very cool. We can see a slow decline in amenity=swimming_pool, perhaps accelerating when the docs were blown away this year
- I think the deprecation warning in JOSM might also have played a role. Math1985 (talk) 18:49, 1 September 2016 (UTC)
For the pool only, for the surrounding area, or just a POI?
Asked on IRC:
<monotreme> so when mapping a pool, like the one in an apartment building, should the contour include the ancillary area with chaise-longs etc., or just the actual area of water?
Good question. Personally I see this tag (and it's leisure=* alias) as a POI-ish object that can go inside a building, be placed on a building outline itself, or used to mark the fancy outline of a large decorative swimming pool... but maybe that's all a bit fluid a definition to be usable, pun intended. What are people doing with this tag out there? --achadwick 14:07, 1 December 2010 (UTC)
All Potlatch2 shortcuts create amenity|swimming_pool
Issue: Potlatch2's simple mode includes shortcuts for "swimming_pool" under both "Amenity" and "Sports&Leisure".
Problem: both shortcuts create amenity=swimming_pool. Neither creates leisure=swimming_pool. Despite these amenity shortcuts, leisure is catching up to amenity and leisure is now almost as popular as amenity in the database.
Solution?: Until the debate between amenity vs. leisure is resolved: could someone please add shortcuts in Potlatch2 for leisure=swimming_pool under both "Amenity" and "Sports&Leisure"? Thanks Peace2 16:13, 16 January 2011 (UTC)
- Second that! Has a trac bug been created? ponzu 2:03 PM, 26 March 2011 (PST)
Just off the top of my head, some related concepts it'd be good to have some foo=* or swimming_pool:foo=* type tagging for --achadwick 14:10, 1 December 2010 (UTC)
- Sport vs. recreation
- Laned vs. unlaned
- Indoor vs. outdoor
- Heated vs unheated
- Chlorinated vs. unchlorinated
- Availability and type of changing area
how would i tag a swimming pool no longer in use? like, an old cement pool that's no longer being maintained.I have it tagged with:
is that sufficient?