If we get consensus on what would communicate best, I, vpbroman, would be willing to put in some work to regularize names globally for LDS, Community of Christ, etc.
- For myself, I would prefer the tag "latter-day saint" instead of "mormon". I won't even get into the whole hyphen issue between the Josephites and the Brighamites (most of the followers of Joseph Smith who didn't follow Brigham Young out west tend not to use the hyphen between latter and day), but it seems simple enough. Also, this follows press use guidelines as put out formally by the LDS Church... as if that really matter here. "latter-day_saint" is also reasonable. --Robert Horning 17:36, 19 June 2009 (UTC)
FYI as of right now the most common denomination value in use for LDS churches is latter_day_saints with 141 uses. ToeBee 01:37, 1 August 2012 (BST)
My practice now is to tag LDS properties with religion=christian denomination=mormon and operator="The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". I also watch out for nodes with mormon-related terminology, to see whether they need to marked "Community of Christ" or the like. That will be a bigger job in the MidWest USA.
Moved from Page to Discussion
- Using denomination=mormon would be quite confusing. "Mormon" is a cultural category, based on a nickname; there is no one "Mormon Church". Mormons might belong to any church or no church, but most belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a good number belong to the Community of Christ, and others belong to one of many small splinter groups. These churches may be categorized as "Restorationist", but they do not consider each other to be allies or under the same big tent. Journalists frequently confuse the polygamist splinter groups with the big church centered in Utah (which discontinued polygamy in 1890). We shouldn't be confusing more people to save a few keystrokes.
- Using latter_day_saint or lds should be fine, since all the other denominations are named in English. A few nodes are already tagged with a full name. Perhaps denomination:de=hlt, or denomination:fr=sdj, or the like could work. --vpbroman 18:53, 26 May 2009 (UTC)
- This is just too complicated for users and contributors who are not familiar with the ramifications of the structure of "mormon" churches. The same discussion can be had for most other denomination=* categories, for instance denomination=quaker: again its a nickname, but it is what is widely understood. If it is required to disambiguate these different organisations there are plenty of other suitable means, such as using operator=* to provide the legal name of the church. Or you could do something like add an additional mormon=latter_day_saints. Remember the objective of OSM is to map objects, not build a database of church organisational hierarchies. SK53 11:30, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
- I moved this while cleaning up the wiki page. --MRPockets 19:27, 23 September 2015 (UTC)