Hello, my name is Robert and I'm the author of OsmHydrant, an easy-to-use OSM-editor for fire water facilities (i.e. fire hydrants, water tanks and suction points). I wanted to grab some opinions upon emergency=suction_point vs emergency=fire_hydrant + fire_hydrant:type=suction_point.
As I'm writing this, there are 1020 nodes of fire_hydrant:type=suction_point, mostly used by the Polish community.
I think the OSM community should find consensus upon which tag to use.
A suction point is a preferred place to get fire water like shown in this picture: suction point
At such places there are no prepared connectors where you just connect like on a fire hydrant, but they are prepared or suitable locations to place fire pumps. Suction points may be prepared at rivers, ponds and underground water-tanks.
- But a fire hydrant can be connected to a water system, a tank or a pond. It's simply not the same thing and the emergency=fire_hydrant objects should be qualified with their source. Fanfouer (talk) 15:50, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
Pro & Contra
(+) means in favor of, (-) states a contra for this tagging concept.
- (+) as there are also emergency=fire_water_pond and emergency=water_tank for fire water stuff, a more specific tag for prepared places to place your fire pump suits better than using emergency=fire_hydrant for a node which is not a fire hydrant.
emergency=fire_hydrant + fire_hydrant:type=suction_point
- (-) a suction point has got no connector, all other fire hydrant types got one
- Then it's not a fire hydrant and emergency=suction_point should be used Fanfouer (talk) 15:55, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- (+) you only need to query for emergency=fire_hydrant when you're searching for fire water (besides water tanks, but they might not be always usable) and somehow they belong together
- +1 for query but the sentence should be you only need to query for emergency=fire_hydrant when you're looking for connectible water sources. A water tank, pond or suction points may not be built with hose or connectors.
- Anybody looking for suction_point will have to bring the appropriate material (like pumps, pipes or whatever) to deal with it Fanfouer (talk) 15:55, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
We should find consensus to avoid going two directions for the same thing. Having one way of tagging suction-points would also ease future work.
You should start a discussion at the regarding Mailing lists/Forums to reach some mappers. IMHO this place is least likely to be found. After a consensus more or less is reached you should announce a mechanical edit before you change one of the tags. Sorry that it sounds a little complicated and tedious, but that's the way it is supposed to go. -- malenki 19:37, 22 February 2015 (UTC)