Change type to flag:type
The key "type" is used primarily for relations and should generally be avoided for other features - see Key:type. Can we therefore change type=signal/national/governmental/… to flag:type=signal/national/governmental/…? It has been used only a few dozen times until now (, , ), so this change would still be easily possible. --Tordanik 09:11, 20 September 2012 (BST)
- I've changed it now. --Tordanik 00:00, 14 October 2012 (BST)
Image of the hoist flagChinus (talk) 15:24, 14 November 2013 (UTC)
- I think it would indeed be interesting to be able to render the correct flag for those flagpoles that constantly show the same flag. However, I would prefer to use a machine-readable encoding of "flag of X" instead of an image. For example, we could use:
- flag:type=nationial plus a country code like US, DE, ...
- for organizations that aren't countries, a link to wikidata/wikipedia for the organization the flag belongs to (using subject:wikipedia or perhaps a more appropriate tag).
- The choice of the specific image, the image file format (svg, png, jpg, ...), whether three colored stripes would be better than an image for simple flags etc. should be made by the renderer. --Tordanik 15:40, 14 November 2013 (UTC)
- I would still like to establish this idea. Not sure if a proposal is needed, but it would be the standard approach. I would be in favour of extending the country=* key to also apply to flags rather than just embassies. For the wikidata tag, there is now a popular proposal, so maybe I should alert them to the topic on their talk page. However, I would like to finish my current proposal before starting something new. What do you think? --Tordanik 17:42, 26 August 2015 (UTC)