I find the definition of sport=orienteering and related tags a bit vague. There exist currently 13 nodes with orienteering=post that seems to be one orienteering course (Tagwatch) and nodes with sport=orienteering (Tagwatch) that seems to be two orienteering club centre and one orienteering course. --Kslotte 14:26, 16 February 2010 (UTC)
- What about define usage as? ...
- This tag is used for orienteering sport centers and permanent orienteering courses. Permanent orienteering course controls are marked with orienteering=pole, where ref=* is used for control codes.
- --Kslotte 15:28, 16 February 2010 (UTC)
Do we need this?
On the other side do we really need these tags? My own opinion is to skip control and course usage and lets keep "orienteering sport centers". --Kslotte 15:47, 16 February 2010 (UTC)
Controls and courses
Do we really get something out with marking controls and courses in the forest? The idea behind the controls is that you buy the orienteering map and then go and find the controls. From the OSM perspective these controls are usually in middle of nowhere and don't bring much additional value. --Kslotte 15:48, 16 February 2010 (UTC)
- If your're using OSM as the source of your orienteering map (say with oobrien's yummy openorienteering render) then permanent course controls are certainly a mappable object worth doing. Just because it's niche doesn't mean it's irrelevant. ;) --Andygates
Orienteering sport centers
And the "orienteering sport centers"... There are only two existing in OSM, and these are very rare. Could we instead use "leisure=sports_centre"? Is two enough to have separate tag for it? --Kslotte 15:48, 16 February 2010 (UTC)
- leisure=sports_centre is too ambiguous, and should be marked together with sport=*, if orienteering is one of the sports available than sport=orienteering should be used, or maybe in a combination with other sport tags (sport=orienteering;chess;bowling;darts;archery as an example). --Skippern 18:25, 16 February 2010 (UTC)
- Good point. I think this form of public sport centers is the most suitable for OSM. A sport centre where you can buy orienteering maps. --Kslotte 09:23, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
- Additional these "orienteering sports centers" are usually owned by a orienteering club and isn't usually open to the public; only like organized events during some day of the week. You can also call them "club houses". I myself is very skeptic of marking orienteering in OSM or then define the tag usage more precise. I have done orienteering in Finland for 25 years. I want some other that know the sport give their opinion. --Kslotte 09:23, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
A breakdown of what orienteering related COULD be mapped:
- Sport centre that sells orienteering maps for training
- Orienteering shops, tagged as "shop=sports" and "sport=orienteering"
- Orienteering controls and courses
- Orienteering club houses
And then what of these above SHOULD be mapped? give your opinion. --Kslotte 09:28, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
Can i use sport=orienteering to tag places with an orienteering map (recorded in national federation database)? --O-edo 04:34, 2 August 2012 (BST)