Talk:WikiProject Haiti/Street names
Clickable Street Index of Port-au-Prince
Feel free to re-integrate into the non-talk page (someone is working on that right now). --Colin Marquardt 11:56, 21 January 2010 (UTC)
- I have done so now. --Colin Marquardt 17:19, 21 January 2010 (UTC)
Began work on the map features
CrisisMappers are looking for hopsitals on OSM. I wanted an easy cross-reference. It also includes some older medical centers not listed in here. I hope this helps. Remove it if necessary. Hopefully I can get more POI's in the future, but definitely wanted to start with hospitals.
Sub page street names / all streets
I think, we should not have two different pages with streets namen, because it is more complex to maintain both pages with similar content. If for example the street name was written wrong, where do we have to change it? Who will compare both lists? With the existing, already sortable list it was easy to show all unmapped streets by clicking the "on OSM" button. Kam 12:20, 24 January 2010 (UTC)
- Bit late to comment on this, when you have been manfully maintaining the two pages. The main idea of removing already identified names was to make it easier to update the wiki, and also to focus attention on those streets which needed it most. As the page has become smaller useful additions have been made (Potlatch browse and notes), which would have made the original page unwieldy. I originally created the all streets page just to ensure we retained a complete list on the wiki. My overall experience is that we could do with something easier to maintain than a wiki table for this sort of thing. On the other hand its good that it is visible and obvious on the wiki. Plenty of scope to work how we can do this better in the future (and I think this type of activity happens in many cities). Apologies if this caused too much extra work. SK53 15:14, 30 January 2010 (UTC)
USGS map areas with street names
This section was removed because it was a task started in error: checking that the streets on USGS maps are in OSM, when the streets on the USGS maps came from OSM data. See thread here Kept here for historical purposes--some maps were checked and no additional street information found. --Neuhausr 04:34, 26 January 2010 (UTC)
- Jean-Guilhem Cailton forwarded on 23 Jan 2010 a list of PDF maps to [OSM-talk]: 
- The list below links to Haiti_25Kand6Kcombo_lettersize_GeopdfimageAtlas_vDSU20100119
-  How to use in JOSM
- Each of the following links refers to a PDF with map segments. The first 6 pages in each PDF are identical. They describe the coordinate system the US military uses to uniquely identify an arbitrary location on the earths surface. The first page in each PDF describes the grid used to divide up the map atlas. For each grid cell there is one PDF in the following table.
- Example: the grid cell YF 8850 is mapped in the document 18QYF8850.
- Every page starting from page 7 in document consist of a map segment. The map already includes the OSM road grid (displayed in maroon), but it is combined with a grid from another source (displayed in black). Only names from the second source are displayed. These names should be integrated in the OSM database too.
- We have to manually compare the OSM data and the street names in the USGS map:
- in JOSM, download the area displayed in one of teh USGS map sheets
- install and activate the SlipplyMap plugin
- compare the two maps. Add every street name which is present in the USGS maps but missing in OSM
- Please indicate in the comment section when you start work on a pdf, and again say so when you complete a pdf, or part of one. That will save us from duplicating effort. (osmapb1 18:38, 25 January 2010 (UTC))
-  List of USGS map documents
- Area ↓ Comment ↓
18QYF4440 Done. Isolated area with no street names. osmapb1 20:30, 25 January 2010 (UTC) 18QYF4445 Done. No street names. By osmapb1 20:42, 25 January 2010 (UTC) 18QYF4450 Done. No street names (99% sea). By osmapb1 20:56, 25 January 2010 (UTC) 18QYF4840 Done. No street names. By osmapb1 21:20, 25 January 2010 (UTC) 18QYF4845 Done. This covers Leogane. All correct. Suggests already done by some other data route? By osmapb1 21:46, 25 January 2010 (UTC) 18QYF4850 Done. No street names. By osmapb1 21:58, 25 January 2010 (UTC) 18QYF5240 Done. No street names. By osmapb1 22:07, 25 January 2010 (UTC) 18QYF5245 Done. No street names. By osmapb1 22:20, 25 January 2010 (UTC) 18QYF5250 Done. No street names. By osmapb1 22:28, 25 January 2010 (UTC) 18QYF5640 Done. No street names. By Nixus32 03:53, 26 January 2010 (UTC)}