|amenity = telephone|
|A public telephone|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: In use|
|Tools for this tag|
A public telephone.
A phone box, or telephone on a stand or wall. Usually you pay to use them, often only via a pre-pay card.
The phone amenity may be indoors inside some other amenity e.g. in a hospital, but the tag indicates a "public" telephone, available as an amenity for the public to use (so not the receptionists' telephone in a hospital)
How to map
Place a node where the telephone is and tag it with amenity=telephone. Where several telephones are arranged side by side, arrange several similar nodes side-by-side.
Tags to use in combination
- phone=+49 123 456789 - To tag the phone number which can be used call this phone
- Don't be confused! You should use this tag in addition to the main amenity=telephone tag.
- postal_code=* - Phone boxes do have postcodes in some countries
- operator=* - company or government agency who operates/maintains the phone
- ref=* some phones have an additional number to identify the location.
- internet_access=yes/no does the phone allow internet surfing or sending e-mails?
- internet_access=wlan if the phone provides a wireles hotspot that can be used by other devices.
- video=yes/no does the phone allow video calls?
- sms=yes/no does the phone allow sending SMS/Text (Short Messaging Service)
- covered=yes/no/booth is the phone somehow protected against the elements or is it a booth with door?
- indoor='yes/no' inside a building (thus potentially locked at odd hours or in emergencies)?
- booth=k2/k6 records the type of telephone booth e.g. types of red telephone box
- wheelchair=yes/no - is the phone lowered?
- Payment tags
- fee=no - For phones which can be used free of charge
- currency:EUR=yes - for each currency accepted.
- payment:coins=yes/no - can you pay with coins
- payment:credit_cards=yes/no - can you pay by credit card
- emergency=phone - for public emergency telephones. Phones which are more intended for, or only work for, calling the emergency services, e.g. those provided on motorways