|amenity = telephone|
|A public telephone|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: In use|
|Tools for this tag|
A public telephone.
A phone box, or telephone on a stand or wall. Usually you pay to use them, often only via a pre-pay card.
The phone amenity may be indoors inside some other amenity e.g. in a hospital, but the tag indicates a "public" telephone, available as an amenity for the public to use (so not the receptionists' telephone in a hospital)
How to map
Place a node where the telephone is and tag it with amenity=telephone. Where several telephones are arranged side by side, arrange several similar nodes side-by-side.
Tags to use in combination
- phone=+49 123 456789 - To tag the phone number which can be used call this phone.
- Don't be confused! You should use this tag in addition to the main amenity=telephone tag.
- postal_code=* - Phone boxes do have postcodes in some countries.
- operator=* - Company or government agency who operates/maintains the phone.
- operator:wikidata=* - Wikidata ID for the company or government agency that operates the phone. Useful for machines to parse who exactly is the operator.
- ref=* - Some phones have an additional number to identify the location.
- internet_access=yes/no - Does the phone allow internet surfing or sending e-mails?
- internet_access=wlan - If the phone provides a wireless hotspot that can be used by other devices.
- video=yes/no - Does the phone allow video calls?
- sms=yes/no - Does the phone allow sending texts/SMS (Short Messaging Service).
- covered=yes/no/booth - Is the phone somehow protected against the elements or is it a booth with door?
- indoor=yes/no - Inside a building (thus potentially locked at odd hours or in emergencies)?
- booth=k2/k6 - Records the type of telephone booth; e.g., types of red telephone box.
- wheelchair=yes/no - Is the phone lowered?
- Payment tags
- fee=no - For phones which can be used free of charge.
- currency:EUR=yes - For each currency accepted.
- payment:coins=yes/no - Can you pay with coins.
- payment:credit_cards=yes/no - Can you pay by credit card.
- emergency=phone - for public emergency telephones. Phones which are more intended for, or only work for, calling the emergency services, e.g. those provided on motorways