OSM in the media
I would suggest addition of a link to OpenStreetMap in the media, maybe adjacent to or below the "more news..." link to the News Archive. I didn't want to make this change unilaterally, but rather to propose it for acceptance. --Ceyockey 17:51, 6 December 2009 (UTC)
Vodafone releases Wayfinder source code
Vodafone released the Wayfinder source code under BSD license with a small sample of OSM data and invites the community to fix some existing issues.
I don't know if it's worthy to be mentioned in the topnews, but I think it's rather interesting for developers ;)
Jot 18:30, 15 July 2010 (UTC)
Remove recurring "Project of the Week" and "Community Updates" news
The news template has become a lot less useful because of the inclusion of these weekly newsletters and periodical projects. 11 out of the 19 entries currently listed are either Community Updates or Project of the Week! Not only are these two utterly over-represented, it's also unnecessary to include those because they have their own start pages and RSS feeds that can be watched by those who want to follow them. I therefore suggest that these shouldn't be added to the News template anymore. --Tordanik 15:15, 12 September 2010 (BST)
- I agree. There's a couple of people who are super keen to run this Community Updates thing as a new channel for keeping track of things. It's a worthy aim. In fact it would be great if it was successful, but it'll need to attract more contributors (particular someone who can write better english!) and that will require more readership. If nobody reads it, it'll die out pretty quickly. I don't want to kill this project by removing all links to it, but at the same time the number of links on there is overpowering at the moment (making Template:news less useful)
- An interim solution could be to have a "moving" headline. So we only link to the most recent update, and remove all the older links. Perhaps even this is too much, but I'll drop the older links now to show you what I mean.
- -- Harry Wood 15:25, 13 September 2010 (BST)
- This already makes the news much more readable, thanks. As long as the number of regular news projects is limited (there already is another, local one, on the German template, so let's hope these don't fragment any further), we can probably use the moving headline. --Tordanik 20:51, 13 September 2010 (BST)
- News are added manually. If you know something newsworthy, just add it. :) --Tordanik 18:24, 13 July 2016 (UTC)