|Feature: Railway stations|
|A place where trains stop and passengers board and disembark.|
Railway stations are often complex and include both transport connections and varying amenities. A complex station can be mapped to varying degrees of detail using the following tags and descriptions.
- A node should be tagged as railway=station or railway=halt to mark the actual station/halt. (rather than being on a node, this tag could be on the building, mentioned below)
- A node on a track way should be tagged as railway=stop to mark the estimate point at which the actual train stops.
- Tracks within a station should be ways that are tagged as railway=rail.
- To aid in route planning, platforms should be drawn and tagged as railway=platform and ref=*
- Optionally, station concourses and galleyways should be tagged as highway=footway, name=station concourse, and should link platforms.
- If the station has multiple entrances, consider railway=subway_entrance.
For larger stations it is often convenient to mark the entire station building. To complete this, create a closed way and use the tag, building=train_station. Currently there are a number of proposals relating to subterranean stations (subway, underground).
It is especially convenient in route planning to include the building entrances. This is accomplished by tagging the appropriate nodes in a building's boundary as building=entrance or railway=subway_entrance. These entrances will often be seen as the intersecting node of a buildings boundary way and a station concourse (footway) way.
Station buildings often contain many amenities. Where appropriate, these amenities can be individually marked by a node and tagged.
Some amenities often found in station buildings and around their locality can be found below;
- amenity=vending_machine with vending=public_transport_tickets, vending=food, vending=drinks, vending=sweets or vending=parking_tickets
Disused and historic stations and sites
If the station is not currently in service, it should generally not be tagged railway=station. See http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-February/012918.html .
- Station temporarily out of service (might be run down, but is still a station)
- Station permanently out of service (definitely not coming back, maybe it's a hotel now)
- railway:historic=station; or (no consensus)
- Station has been dismantled (perhaps a few remnants such as old platforms.)