Edit-a-thon/US Spring Editathon 2013
Come join us for the second #editathon event of 2013, a weekend of mapping on April 20-21. All over the United States, starting at 12 noon Eastern going until 6PM Pacific each day and longer, we will be improving the US on OpenStreetMap. Join us at one of the locations below or virtually on our IRC channel #osm-us.
There is only one rule: when you save your changes to OpenStreetMap, add #editathon to your changeset comment, we’ll use that to create a visualization of our edits afterwards.
January Editathon in Portland, Oregon
- Chicago, IL - Contact Ian Dees
- Cleveland, OH - Saturday April 20. 12 - 4 PM - Location: Cleveland Public Library's Map Collection, Main Branch - Contact: Will Skora. Held as a part of the Open Geo Cleveland and Cleveland Civic Hacking Groups. Recap of the Cleveland editathon
- Denver, CO - Saturday April 20 10am-4pm - At the Univ of Denver Boettcher West Building - Contact Jim McAndrew
- Kansas City, MO - CityCampKC Contact: Andrew Hyder
- Littleton, MA - Saturday April 20, 12 to 4PM. Littleton library, Jason Remillard (jremillard)
- Milford, CT - Saturday April 20 12 - 6 details to be announced
- Pasadena, CA Saturday April 20, 12-5 PM at Jones Coffee Roasters at 693 S. Raymond Ave., Pasadena. Contact Christine White
- New York City - Sunday, April 21, 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM at OpenPlans: 148 Lafayette Street, Penthouse.
- Portland, OR - Saturday April 20, 12 to 5PM. Details on Calagator Contact: Darrell
- Salt Lake City, UT. Contact: Martijn van Exel (talk). Saturday only.
- San Francisco, CA - Saturday, April 20th; stamen design; 2017 Mission St San Francisco, CA 94103, 12:00PM to 6PM
- Seattle, WA
- Tampa / St Petersburg, FL - Saturday, Apr 20, 12:30pm - 3:30pm+ (contact: Coleman McCormick)
- Sunnyvale, CA Telenav; 950 De Guigne Drive Sunnyvale, CA 94085; Contact: John Novak
- Washington, DC (MapBox office, Saturday April 20 12PM to 5PM)
- Boston, MA - CANCELLED
Need help hosting? Get in touch!
If you host an #editathon
If you run an #editathon, here is a list of items to consider to help the event runs smoothly:
- Get in touch personally with the coordinator of the event, John Novak (john [at] openstreetmap [dot] us)
- Maintain a check-in list with email addresses; enabling a follow up survey (we will send you one via email). Encourage attendees to complete the survey before they leave. (**)
- Please take photos and send them me, after asking for permission from participants.
- Identify advanced editors willing to assist newcomers; who will need help doing their first edits.
- During the #editathon, we're hanging out on #osm-us on irc.oftc.net, join us also there. My handle is oldtopos. If needed, we can use Google+ Hangouts for video chat.
- And most importantly: encourage people to tag any edits with #editathon - we will use this to create a visualization of all edits committed over the weekend day. Also on all other media (Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr, Facebook, name it) - our tag is #editathon.
- The MapRoulette challenge for this event can be found at http://maproulette.org. Note that it requires participants to use JOSM (The new iD editor may be supported). Instructions for registering an OSM ID and installing and configuring JOSM are included below.
(**) Please keep the email addresses to yourself, do not send them on to us. Do not use the email addresses collected for anything else but the survey follow-up. If you'd like to use attendees addresses for anything else, please make sure attendees opt in explicitly.