|latitude: 38.15, longitude: 24.99|
|Browse map of Greece 38°09′00″ N, 24°59′24″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Drivers may be more interested in destinations than road numbers on road signs, but it’s the birthplace of the Olympic Games, although not their headquarters (that honour goes to Lausanne): drive safely but enjoy the scenery!
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to Greece.
- 1 Map
- 2 Community
- 3 Administrative Boundaries
- 4 Resources
- 5 θέματα με το Nominatim
- 6 gov.gr donating aerial imagery covering all areas of Greece?
- 7 Tags that are used in Greece
- 8 Ιόνια νησιά (Ionian Islands)
- 9 Κρήτη (Crete)
- 10 Thessaloniki Prefecture
- 11 Aegean Islands
- 12 Road names language
- 13 Standards and conventions
- 14 Public Transport
- 15 Quality control
WANTED: a healthy and thriving community of Greek road fans and mappers from Greece and all corners of the world. Enquire below:
- Forum: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=27 (use your OpenStreetMap account to login).
- IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net/osm-gr
- Mailing list: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gr
People mapping in Greece can add their user page to Category:Users in Greece.
Here is a list of relations for greek Peripheries and Prefectures
Peripheries and Prefectures (relations).
- admin_level=2 - National border (Εθνικά Σύνορα)
- admin_level=3 - Decentralized Administration border (Αποκεντρωμένη Διοίκηση) - optional
- admin_level=4 - Periphery/region border (Περιφέρεια) (Υπάρχουν ήδη)
- admin_level=6 - (Former) prefecture border (Νομός) (Υπάρχουν ήδη) - prefectures were abolished in 2011
- admin_level=6 - (New) regional unit border (Περιφερειακές ενότητες) - the majority of regional units coincide with former prefectures, but some prefectures were split
- admin_level=8 - Municipality border (Δήμος) (Υπάρχουν αρκετοί αλλά όχι όλοι).
- admin_level=9 - Municipality Unity border (Δημοτική Ενότητα)
- admin_level=10 - Municipal Community border (Κοινότητα)
- admin_level=11 - Electoral District border (εκλογικό διαμέρισμα), Village, settlement +/- neighborhood (Χωριό, οικισμός +/- συνοικία)
Here is a proposal page(actually the talk page) of administrative boundaries for Greece: Talk:Key:boundary#Greece
- Administrative boundaries need to be updated according to the administrative reform. Please have a look at this talk page again
In most of Greece, Bing satellite imagery is acceptable detailed to trace in most features. They are useful for tracing routes to "unconnected" villages and so on, but please respect subsequent developments, since satellite imagery can easily go out of date. If Bing does not have imagery for an area you want to trace, try other compatible satellite imagery or check back later, as Bing periodically updates more areas to acceptable detail.
As with any imagery sources in the world, terrain can distort the imagery, making roads appear to deviate from the GPS traces: sometimes, the scale of deviation can change rapidly. In such cases, the editor should realign the Bing imagery accordingly, but consider the quality of the GPS trace as well. How much you need to realign the imagery will depend on the area you are tracing. For example: in Corfu(Κέρκυρα), you should realign by Easting: 3.07661E-6 and Northing: 6.02635E-7.
θέματα με το Nominatim
Το Nominatim είναι λογισμικό του OpenStreetMap που χρησιμοποιείται για να μπορεί ένα άτομο να αναζητήσει σημεία(όπως συνοικίες, διευθύνσεις κτλ.). Το Nominatim χρησιμοποιείται στην κεντρική σελίδα αναζήτησης του OpenStreetMap.
Περιφέρεια Κεντρικής Μακεδονίας
Στην Θεσσαλονίκη η Μενεμένη, οι Αμπελόκηποι και η Πολίχνη ήταν με τις ετικέτες place=town , δηλαδή "Μέρος κωμόπολη". Αυτά τα σημεία δεν μπορούν να θεωρηθούν "κωμόπολη" λόγο ότι βρίσκονται μέσα στην Θεσσαλονίκη, η 2η μεγαλύτερη πόλη της Ελλάδας. Τα έβγαλα και έβαλα "συνοικία"(place=suburb). Εάν κάποιο/κάποια από αυτά δεν είναι σωστά παρακαλώ βοηθήστε και διορθώστε τα.
Περιφέρεια Ιονίων Νήσων
Gymnasio Lefkimmis: Nominatim "thinks" it is located in "Zagori". That is because "Zagori" is a node and it doesn't specify an area, so Nominatim "believes" that it covers a huge area. This can be resolved by changing some tags for the node, then specify the boundaries for the Prefecture it is located in(which is Νομός Ιωαννίνων).
gov.gr donating aerial imagery covering all areas of Greece?
- An archived link for geodata.gov.gr Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ). Direct link: http://geodata.gov.gr/geodata/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=6#why
- An archived link for geodata.gov.gr/geodata/ Main page with announcement and planned work. Direct link: http://geodata.gov.gr/geodata/
- On the OpenStreetMap Forum a message stating that their licence is not yet free enough, and pending an official statement they're not yet free to use.
Tags that are used in Greece
Ιόνια νησιά (Ionian Islands)
Municipality of Sykies
wikipedia:en:Sykies I would like for some time to add streetnames from a map of the technical department of this municipality. To do that I need to ask for permission or if they can free the data. Logictheo 08:51, 1 August 2008 (UTC)
Lets start mapping Corfu, someone has already started. Within the next couple of months we will get some GPS units in Corfu ---unsigned by Samdee21 10:22, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
I have done a lot of cycling the last week, so in a few days time a will add 300 km of cycling, pedestrian, track, etc etc.... In the neigbourhood of Kalavarda. Please check my spelling, cause it is a bit of a hassle with all those Greek symbols. GercoKees 12:41, 22 April 2008 (UTC)
The major road network of Sifnos seems to be done. A few of the major footpaths, beaches and POIs are done. Matt 21:04, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
The major road network (all surfaced roads) is done. Some (~20%, maybe) of the unsurfaced roads are done. A few beaches are done. A fair number of POIs in the Chora are present. --Matt 17:07, 31 August 2011 (BST)
Road names language
- see Bilingual_names
Η συζήτηση μεταφέρθηκε εδώ(στη σελίδα συζήτησης) The discussion was moved here(to the talk page)
This might be unrelated but on the same topic. A rendering of bilingual names as well as local language and English greece.osm-tools.org
Standards and conventions
Network hierarchy and classification
Main article: Road Classification and Numbering in Greece
The table below shows the current practice of classifying roads on OpenStreetMap. With opinion from the likes of JayCBR, it does not work properly, which is why there is a review on this going on right now. We plan to document the work to unravel the mystery of the country's road classification and numbering at Road Classification and Numbering in Greece.
||NOTE: The road hierarchy system is under review here|
| Εθνική Οδός Ταχείας
| Εθνική Οδός
| Επαρχιακή Οδός
Other major roads
|Between villages||Minor road|
Antje (Amaroussi) and ea1969 from the SkyscraperCity forums are probably one of the very few people who care for the Greek road numbering system as seriously as the British: most of the road signs in Greece leave them out, meaning that OSM contributors have to do their own research to find out where all the National and Provincial roads go.
Despite little publicity on location, OSM has been able to cement the existence of numbered National and Provincial roads with copyright-exempt legislative texts thanks to research by the two users, but the surface condition of classified roads vary greatly, even for motorways: Greek law assigned numbers to roads with an expectation that they would be upgraded to a desired standard as soon as possible, but progress is currently very patchy, with available money being very scarce and some stretches of provincial roads being nothing more than single-line gravel tracks suitable only for cars (another reason for the ongoing review).
The state of the road network in Greece leaves OpenStreetMap with a lot of complications and issues that require further input: below are the unresolved and resolved issues.
will run from Evzoni to Gefyra (slow route).
will run from Polykastro to Chalastra (fast route).
will run from the Evzoni/Gevgelija border to Polykastro (fast route).
will run from Chalkidona to Gefyra. It is possible to have two refs for a section of road.
will run from Katerini to Chalkidona via Alexandreia because the road from Alexandreia to Chalkidona is an active national road and the ΕΟ4 ends at Alexandreia instead of Chalkidona. Additionally, the Α1 between Katerini and Gefyra via Chalastra has tolls, and there is enough demand to consider Katerini to Chalkidona as an active national road.