I have been mapping on OSM for quite some time and have done lots of editing. There are several types of edits that I do:
- TIGER fixup
- mapping rivers, riverbanks, and streams.
- adding building footprints
- drawing transmission lines
- designating roads as the correct types
- other miscellaneous edits
- Though I haven't done much of this, I'd like to improve coastlines because the PGS data is pretty lousy.
See below for more info on these edits. I do most of my editing in the Puget Sound area in western Washington. I sometimes edit other locations, too. I mainly do my edits in Potlatch 2. I don't like the new editor iD. I have tried using JOSM but I don't like its interface.
Last updated: November 7, 2013
There are many projects in which I work on. Here are descriptions of each of the edits I've made.
Many roads in Western Washington are poorly aligned to the satellite imagery, thanks to the lousy TIGER data. Although it is public-domain, it is really bad. There are many problem areas (pretty much all of W. Washington), but there are a few places I've fixed. Tiger fixup accounts for most of my edits in OSM.
Fixed Areas - Areas where I've done TIGER fixup:
- Downtown Arlington, WA
- East and South part of Marysville WA as well as downtown Marysville.
- In South Everett, east of I-5/ WA-526 interchange.
- WA 542, Mt Baker Highway (and surrounding roads) near Mt. Baker Ski area.
- Hood River valley near Hood River, OR.
- Yakima, WA.
Rivers, Riverbanks, and Streams
I have mapped:
- Most of the Skykomish river watershed, including tributaries. There's still some creeks and lakes that need to be added.
- Skagit and Sauk River. Riverbanks and creeks still need to be added.
- Pasayten River south of the US-Canada border.
- Chehalis River
The following are a few places where I have mapped buildings:
- DuPont - in progress (June 2013)
- Seattle - Prior to the 2013 Seattle building import, I added buildings in several Seattle neighborhoods. Here are places where I've added buildings:
- Lake City
- Jackson Park Golf Course vicinity.
- the area near Boeing's Renton assembly plant.
As far as I'm aware, all the high-tension power lines have been added thanks to hard work by zephyr. But there are many 115 kV transmission lines (not to be confused w/ high-tension lines on towers) that need to be added to OSM. It has been an ongoing project for me to add them. As of November 2013, I am finished with the ones in Snohomish County. I am currently working on the ones in King County (aside from the ones in Seattle).
There are also some other types of edits I do. Many roads aren't designated as proper types, and fixing them has been an ongoing endeavor. Also, I've done a bit of work on fixing coastlines because the PGS data is pretty inaccurate.
More recently (late 2012- early 2013) I have done some improvements to ferry routes and terminals because of my newfound interest in ferries. The biggest thing I've done is improve the accuracy of the ferry routes in the San Juan Islands.
I also have created relations for all of Washington's state routes (summer 2013). This will allow the shields to be rendered like this