This is a very first draft of a proposal for tagging landscapes.
Geologically speaking highlands is a type of landforms.
Highlands describes the elevation of a landscape. Those landscapes can include urban settlements as well as woods. Similar to coastlines the outlines of hilly regions/landscapes are blurry and may be subject to change.
At the moment some highlands are denoted by forest areas named the same as the highland.
How to map
- Ways and nodes used to describe the outline should be kept separate from objects which are not describing natural outlines (e.g. landscape).
- The outlines of the area should roughly mark the very start of the hilly landscape (feed of the mountain).
- Highland areas can include other highland areas and use partially the same outlines. For example the Südtiroler Berge can be included at the outline of the alps.
Defined on relations
- landscape of sandy and gravelly soils usually mantled by a heathland vegetation
- Geest in Wikipedia
- around 200m; up to 500-600m
- usually upon the tree line
- Alpine in Wikipedia
- relatively plain area some hundreds of meters above sea level
- Plateau in Wikipedia
name=* wikipedia=* area=yes type=multipolygon
Defined on ways