Though I gradually expand the set of things that I pay attention to when I map, I generally like to map building outlines, addresses, and points of interest.
I started contributing to OSM in New Hampshire, but in mid-2014 I moved to Portland, Oregon.
I've been mapping the following things in and around New Hampshire until mid-2014:
- my house. I open the map and zoom into my house in Derry, NH. Then, I zoom out until there are parts of the map with building outlines missing and TIGER data that needs cleaning up. So far I've covered a fair amount of Derry, Londonderry, and Windham.
- my hometown. I'm in the process of traversing all the roads and paths in Derry, NH where I live. I've even started adding opening hours to many of the local businesses.
- my commute to work. I commute to work from Derry, NH to Nashua, NH and there are many variations on the route that I can take. I often make small detours and take some notes. I have made significant updates in the towns of Derry, Londonderry, Litchfield, Windham, Pelham, Hudson, and Nashua.
- my wedding. In 2007, I got married in New Hampshire and so I have an affinity to map places associated with that event.
- ceremony: amenity=place_of_worship -
- reception: amenity=arts_centre (for lack of a better tag) -
- rehearsal dinner: Firehall Pub (since closed and turned into amenity=restaurant ) -
- food for reception:
- beer for reception: shop=beverages and shop=alcohol and -
- marriage license: amenity=townhall -
- women's hair: shop=hairdresser -
- flowers: shop=florist -
- clothes: shop=clothes and Men's Wearhouse (inside ) -
- rings: shop=jewelry -
- hotel: tourism=hotel -
- Airport MHT. Though we often travel to BOS to get a direct flight, MHT is the closest airport and I've been exploring the surrounding area of Londonderry and Manchester.
- places I go. While running errands mainly around southern New Hampshire, I take note of the place that I am going and a few of the surrounding amenities.
- visiting family. I've added some buildings and cleaned up some roads in Pittsburgh, PA and West Linn, OR (suburb of Portland).
- power=line. I've done some armchair mapping tracing power lines from USGS images in New Hampshire.
- boundary=administrative for many towns in New Hampshire (list) and Massachusetts (list). Some of these were already there, but were imported from multiple sources. Where possible I've tried to re-use ways for existing features like waterway=rivers. Most all the town borders overlap each other around here, and it makes sense to put these into boundary relations rather than having overlapping Ways.
- maxspeed=* Speed limits around southern New Hampshire. See the ITO World Speed Limit Map .
Things that I would like to get sorted out:
- Road tagging for officially designated roads (at least in New Hampshire). Every once in a while someone, often from outside this area comes by and changes the highway=* and/or route relation on some roads, leaving the map in a generally inconsistent state. Also, when this happens, usually the entrances/exits are not changed as well, so you'll end up with a highway=primary with a bunch of highway=secondary_link further degrading the appearance of the map.