From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Messages for User:Mhondaz
Zimbabwe District Boundaries shapefile
hi Harry, my name is Brian and live in Harare, Zimbabwe. I want to upload Zimbabwe District Boundaries shapefile on OSM and would like to know to go about it
-- Mhondaz 13:24, 30 August 2016
- Hi Brian.
- Looking at the map of Zimbabwe, the district boundaries are already in place. Do you believe that your shapefile contains updates to the boundary positions or refinements to the detail level, or fills in gaps in the boundaries data already present?
- If it's a very large shapefile then you may need to look at doing this very cautiously, following all the steps on the Import/Guidelines page. Or maybe it's fairly small thing and can be integrated with a few manual edits carried out yourself.
- In any case a good first step is to look at converting your shapefile to an .OSM formatted XML file which you might open in JOSM for comparison with the existing data (taking care not to upload it all by accident!). There are quite a few ways of converting a shapefile to OSM. Maybe loading it via JOSM/Plugins/OpenData would work for you.
- Once you have a .OSM file with the same data, you might get in touch with the Zimbabwe community highlighting anything specific you think this data would add
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 14:30, 30 August 2016 (UTC)