|Tag representing editor/script which created/(edited) this item.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
This tag is used to describe the computer program (editor or script) which made the changes', similar to a in the HTTP headers. It is automatically added by editors to a saved changeset, see also a list of other changeset tags Changeset#Tags_on_changesets / Proposed_features/changeset_tags. It was also automatically added by editors to individual elements during beginning of OSM, see #History.
It should no longer be added to individual elements, i.e. nodes, ways, or relations. Like other discardable tags, it is automatically removed by many editors. A chronological chart of the of created_by item amounts can be found here.
Prior to version 0.6 of the API the created_by=* tag was applied to individual objects (nodes, ways and relations and even segments in earlier protocol versions). However, with the introduction of changesets to provide non-geographic "meta data" it makes more sense for the created_by tag to be recorded there. The number of nodes, ways or relations that still have a created_by tag is slowly decreasing, since this key is silently dropped by OSM editors like JOSM, iD, Potlatch, Potlatch2 when objects get modified.
Guidance to users
- You should not edit this value to record your own name. Your user name will be recorded anyway (and in addition) automatically on upload.
- You should not remove the created_by tag on objects you are not otherwise modifying. If we wanted to remove them in bulk we'd do it some other way.
- You may remove the created_by tag on nodes/ways/relations that you are modifying in a changeset anyway. This is what JOSM, iD, Potlatch, Potlatch2 and other editors do automatically.
- You may use the created_by tag as an indicator for objects that have not been edited for a long time and could use a review.
Guidance to software developers
The guidance to users plus:
- You should record a created_by tag on a changeset when saving changes
- The created_by tag may contain a revision number, version number or similar. This helps people track down problems if a version of your editor/script has a bug in it.
- Alternatively, potlatch2 splits information into created_by, version and build tags.
- You should not add or update the created_by tag on nodes/ways/relations.
- You can remove it silently on edited elements and hide this tag from mappers - it is widely accepted as discardable
- For translation QA : please add the 'language' version (like: de,en,es,it,hu)
- created_by=FireYak (used by FireYak)
- created_by=Go Map!! 1.6.1 (used by Go_Map!!)
- created_by=gnome-maps 3.22.2 (used by GNOME Maps)
- created_by=https_all_the_things/0.0.7 (used by Automated_Edits/b-jazz-bot)
- created_by=iD 1.1.4 (used by iD)
- created_by=iD 261-A (used by OSMC_Reitkarte)
- created_by=JOSM/1.5 (8480 de) (used by JOSM)
- created_by=Level0 v1.2 (used by Level0)
- created_by=MapComplete 0.16.8 (used by MapComplete)
- created_by=MAPS.ME android 6.4.3-Google (used by MAPS.ME)
- created_by=Merkaartor 0.13 (used by Merkaartor)
- created_by=Organic Maps android 2022.02.19-1-FDroid) (used by Organic Maps)
- created_by=OsmAnd 3.5.5 (used by OsmAnd)
- created_by=OsmHydrant v1 / http://yapafo.net v0.3 (used by OsmHydrant)
- created_by=OsmInEdit 1.0.6 (used by OsmInEdit)
- created_by=Osmose Editor (used by Osmose#Osmose_integrated_tags_editor)
- created_by=osmtools/30252 (linux) (used by Revert_scripts)
- created_by=OSM Contributor 3.0.23 (used by OSM_Contributor)
- created_by=Osm Go! 1.5.0 (used by Osm Go!)
- created_by=Pic4Review 0.5.21 (used by Pic4Review)
- created_by=Potlatch 1.2 (used by Potlatch)
- created_by=RapiD 1.0.4 (used by RapiD)
- created_by=reverter_plugin/35084;JOSM/1.5 (15390 en_GB) (used by JOSM + JOSM/Plugins/Reverter)
- created_by=RevertUI 1.0) (used by RevertUI)
- created_by=rosemary v0.4.4 (used by wheelmap.org)
- created_by=StreetComplete 0.7 (used by StreetComplete)
- created_by=Vespucci 22.214.171.124 (used by Vespucci)