|Reference to an image of the object|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
The image key has been used by mappers to link an externally hosted image that depicts the tagged object. However, there is an ongoing controversy whether such tags should be part of the OSM database at all.
There are at least three common styles of formatting the link:
- or of the image itself
- URL or URI of a page containing the image alongside copyright information and other details
- a Wikimedia Commons filename (formatted as
To get in impression of the current usage of this key, see taginfo's value list (linked in the box here on the right side). Note that it is sorted by usage count, so you may want to skip to a page where usage count of a value is one.
This key only allows one image to be linked, which may not be sufficient for all use cases. Furthermore, it has been pointed out that image tags are highly subjective, as well as susceptible to spam and/or edit wars, and therefore perhaps might not be well suited for OSM. Alternative approaches have been suggested to avoid these issues while still fulfilling the same needs as the image tag, but none has been widely accepted so far.
Other considerations are related to choosing an image to be linked:
- Images stored on well-known platforms (e.g. Wikimedia Commons, Flickr) offer the benefit of machine-readable licenses – without this feature, only PD images could legally embedded into maps and applications. However, it is unclear whether this should be a requirement.
- Images under a free license may be preferable over less generously licensed images. Again, there is not yet a consensus whether to make this a requirement.
- Proposed features/Image – inactive proposal trying to define the image=* key (cancelled votes on talk page). Note that the proposal's definition isn't necessarily consistent with existing uses.
- Talk page of this page and proposal talk page – discuss the unresolved issues and the wording of this page
- If you want to reference an aerial image which was used while mapping the object than you should consider using source_ref=*.
- Key:wikimedia_commons - used for linking only Wikimedia Commons content, including categories
- Photo linking - Create links between OSM features and external pictures