Proposed features/Move from amenity to leisure
|Moving venues from amenity to leisure|
|Definition:||Move some entertainment venues from amenity=* to leisure=*|
Amenity is described on its pages as "For describing useful and important facilities for visitors and residents."
Leisure is described on its page as "The leisure tag is for places people go in their spare-time.".
There is currently inconsistency within OSM, why should amenity=cinema be under amenity, when it is clearly somewhere for people to go in their spare time (and places such as leisure=water_park are under leisure)? If you look at the actual current use of leisure=* it's currently geared far more towards purely sportingly activities than the broader category of leisure: this proposal seeks to change this.
Currently under amenity=* we have a series of places described as "Entertainment, Arts & Culture". Of these I propose moving:
- amenity=cinema to leisure=cinema
- amenity=nightclub to leisure=nightclub
- amenity=stripclub to leisure=stripclub
- amenity=theatre to leisure=theatre
- There are clearly a lot of some of these tags, approximately 4000 each for amenity=cinema and amenity=theatre but I am sure a bot could easily change all current tagging.
- Editors would have to be adapted, but this seems fairly simple.
- Renderers would need adapting too, but again my uneducated guess is this would not be hard.
You're over thinking things - don't worry about the precise english meanings of the key and values, just treat them as opaque tokens. Yes the current usage might be suboptimal if we were starting from scratch but it's not worth causing a lot of chaos to try and rewrite history just to get a bit more consistency. TomH 11:37, 8 January 2010 (UTC)
Your uneducated guess totally underestimates the effort necessary. Adding all renderers and data users this would cost several man months of work for little or no gain at all. Petschge 11:41, 8 January 2010 (UTC)
""Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Kenguest 11:47, 8 January 2010 (UTC)
- Now are you saying it is foolish to change tags to be consistent, or foolish simply to be consistent with what has always happened before (not accepting change)...? ;) --Fluteflute 11:36, 9 January 2010 (UTC)
We should put this on a list of proposals to look at, after we have come up with a framework for making sweeping changes to existing tags. There was a mailing list discussion a few months ago about the idea of having big group discussions at the SOTM conferences, where we could agree to some such changes. Of course there's a big question mark over whether that's a good idea, or if it would work at all... but if it did, then I can see this proposal being put forward as an idea to look at under that kind of framework. Here as a wiki proposal, this won't gain acceptance -- Harry Wood 13:47, 8 January 2010 (UTC)
This will be little bit offtopic, but I think problem is that 'laisure' is part of 'amenity' - as it seems to me.--Platlas23 17:13, 8 January 2010 (UTC)
I agree that this proposal probably needs to wait for SOTM but I believe a clean-up effort like this would be a good way to kick off a centralized keyspace management system that would allow editors and renderers to poll from a list of tags that have made it through the tag approval process. --DiverCTH 02:37, 24 March 2010 (UTC)