|footway = sidewalk|
|Sidewalks as separate ways|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Use footway=sidewalk along with highway=footway to tag sidewalks (also known as pavement/footway in the UK or a footpath in Australia) as distinct ways from the carriageway.
For crosswalks use footway=crossing.
footway=sidewalk is also sometimes used with other highway=* values
- sidewalks under construction highway=construction + construction=footway
- combined footway and cycleway - highway=path + bicycle=designated + foot=designated + segregated=no.
This article describes the "separate way" approach to mapping sidewalks. Alternatively, especially if the sidewalk is just attached with a kerb, sidewalks may be mapped as properties on the motorized roads, see Sidewalks for details on this distinction.
There is currently no consensus on how to handle naming sidewalks. The name is often left un-tagged. In much of the world the sidewalk is considered part of the street, and can be tagged with the same name=* tags as the roadway. There are also proposals to use is_sidepath:of:name=* tags (see Proposal:Key:is sidepath), associatedStreet relations, or Proposal:Relation:street.
How to map
See footway=* for usage instructions.
- an overview about mapping Sidewalks
- footway=* - Further refinement of footways
- sidewalk=* - Indicates the presence or absence of a sidewalk (pavement/footway)
- associatedStreet / street
- Proposed features/Sidewalk as separate way - approved proposal that introduced this tag
- comprehensive explanation for bicycle way tagging