|historic = wayside_shrine|
|A shrine often showing a religious depiction. Tag is used also for modern shrines.|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
This tag is also used to mark shrines created in modern times (not just "historic" ones).
How to map
All of these additional tags are optional:
- name=* if it has a name
- religion=* (in Europe it is usually religion=christian)
- denomination=* - for example denomination=catholic or denomination=orthodox
- amenity=place_of_worship if it is a place of worship
- building=wayside_shrine or building=shrine
- tourism=attraction if it is a tourist attraction
- ruins=yes if it's a ruin
- start_date=* erection/sacrification date
- support=* mounted on pedestal/tree/ground/etc.
- on Wikipedia
historic=wayside_shrine, historic=wayside_cross were intended for tagging old shrines and old crosses. But introducing them was done without proposing a tagging scheme for modern crosses and modern shrines. As result tags changed meaning and are used for any shrine and any cross. Including ones that are neither historic nor wayside.