|landuse = meadow|
|An area of meadow or pasture: land primarily vegetated by grass and other non-woody plants, mainly used for hay or grazing|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Used to tag an area of land primarily vegetated by grass plus other non-woody plants, mainly used for hay (meadow) or for grazing animals (pasture).
How to map
Draw a way around the area of the meadow, and tag landuse=meadow.
Tags in combination
If the meadow or pasture has a name, add name="name of meadow".
Meadows in certain climates would become scrub or woodland if let alone. Meadows can be quickly colonised by woody plants that will shade out meadow species. The key meadow=* has been used to indicate the process that protects the meadow status.
- If the meadow is retained by hay cutting or grazing, add meadow=agricultural.
- If the meadow is clearly an area of land without a process to retain the meadow, add meadow=transitional.
- The tag meadow=pasture is in use to specify that an area of landuse=meadow is used as pasture for grazing livestock, rather than as a hay meadow.
- The tag meadow=perpetual has been used for "meadows" which are retained by natural environmental factors. However, see also natural=grassland in this case.
- landuse=farmland - An area of farmland used for tillage (cropland), somtimes also used for pasture or meadow.
- landuse=grass - An area of mown and managed grass, e.g. a lawn in a park, the middle of a roundabout, part of a golf course, the side of the road etc. Maybe consider surface=grass or landcover=grass.
- natural=grassland - An area of non-cultivated grassland.
- natural=scrub - A plant community characterized by vegetation dominated by shrubs (bush) More woody plants than a meadow or grassland.
- natural=heath - A dwarf-shrub habitat, characterised by open, low growing woody vegetation, often dominated by plants of the Ericaceae. More woody plants than a meadow or grassland.
- Vegetation - summary of tags related to areas of vegetation of different types