|leisure = sports_centre|
|A sports centre is a distinct facility where sports take place within an enclosed area.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A sports centre is a distinct facility where sports take place within an enclosed area. It can be a building (indoor sports centre), just outside (outdoor sports centre) or contain indoor and outdoor sports features mixed together.
Facilities within a sports centre may include swimming pools, spa, solarium, sauna and/or steam room, sports hall, squash courts, fitness suite, aerobics studios, outdoor grass and/or artificial pitches for football (soccer), hockey etc and also any associated cafeteria, bars and other facilities.
How to map
It is better to use more specific tags on separate elements within a sports centre area. For example leisure=pitches or building contained within the sports centre. Use building=* for any buildings which are included within the centre. These can be given different sport and leisure tags. Note that you should not place the leisure=sports_centre on inner elements. Use this tag once on the outer area of the sports centre (One feature, one OSM element)
Spelling: Use "centre" (British English), not "center" (American English).
Tags used in combination
- operator=* - person or company running the facility
- addr=* - the address of the facility
- opening_hours=* - when to enter the facility / Tool to test the format
- Contact information: phone=*, fax=*, website=* and email=*
Alternatives for sports halls
For single sports halls, the suitability of leisure=sports_centre has been questioned, in particular when the facility has no centre character. An alternative is the tag leisure=sports_hall. The other way round, a sports centre can contain one or more sports halls.
Contains only indoor sports features. If a building does not include all the features that belong to the sports centre (because there are also outdoor features belonging to it) do better not tag it with leisure=sports_centre but instead either map the area of the whole sports centre or place a node at its estimated centre and tag these with leisure=sports_centre.
|Indoor sports centre|
|Indoor swimming facility|
|Indoor tennis centre|
|Outdoor tennis centre|
|Swimming pool facility|
|shoes:rental||yes/no||rents shoes appropriate for the sport|
|clothes:rental||yes/no||rents clothes appropriate for the sport|
|racket:rental||yes/no||rents rackets appropriate for the sport|
- leisure=stadium - Venue for large sporting events and perhaps also performing arts events. This can usually house many spectators / supporters in tiered seating.
- leisure=pitch - An area designed for playing a particular sport, normally designated with appropriate markings
- leisure=sports_hall for a building that is used as a sports hall
- amenity=community_centre - Used a mixture of activities and events, may include some sports
- landuse=winter_sports - For land used for winter sports
- amenity=dojo - A formal training place for any of the Japanese do arts.
- leisure=fitness_centre - One of the main proposed ways to tag gyms/fitness centres, discussed at Gym_/_Fitness_centre. Is more specific than using leisure=sports_centre.
- leisure=bowling_alley - A facility that is equipped to play the game of bowling.
Similar tags to a swimming pool facility:
- leisure=water_park: an amusement park featuring water play areas such as recreational pools, water slides or lazy rivers; not used for swimming as a sport
- amenity=public_bath: a facility where you can go and take a bath, e.g. an onsen, a hot spring, a hammam or a thermal bath