|natural = grassland|
|Natural areas where the vegetation is dominated by grasses (Poaceae) and other herbaceous (non-woody) plants.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
|Definition was altered, not everyone in OSM follows given definition at this page|
Natural areas where the vegetation is dominated by grasses (Poaceae) and other herbaceous (non-woody) plants. Excludes cultivated areas and wetlands.
Idea that wikipedia:Lawns are just "area with managed grass" isn't new. Here is how you can tag it more precisely. It was also noted that decorativeness of the lawns/grass/managed grass is due limited number of species=*.
- natural=grassland - "area with grass", required
- grassland=* - optional, same definition
- operator=* - if grass is operated de jure, optional
- managed=* - if grass is physically operated, optional
- surface=* / landcover=* - to describe landcover, optional. If we were re-tagging objects each season, then value of this tag would change most often.
- Proposed features/Grassland — the original proposal and vote
- Vegetation — general discussion on tagging vegetation
- natural=scrub — natural vegetation dominated by shrubs (bush)
- natural=heath — natural vegetation dominated by dwarf shrubs
- natural=fell — herbaceous vegetation above tree line
- natural=wetland with wetland=marsh — open wetlands where grasses grow in waterlogged soil (the distinction between grasslands and wetlands can be gradual)
- landuse=meadow — agricultural areas cultivated with grasses (or formerly cultivated and still growing mostly grasses)
- landuse=grass — usually ornamental areas covered with tended and mown grass (lawn)