Jump to navigation Jump to search
|natural = sand|
|An area covered by sand with no or very little vegetation|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
An area covered by loosewith no or very little vegetation. Sand is usually understood to be fine grained loose rock material with grain sizes between 0.0625 mm and 2 mm. In nature, sand occurs mostly as either wind blown deposits (sand deserts, dunes) or deposited by water on beaches or in form of sandbanks in the sea or in rivers.
How to map
This tag should not be used for:
- beaches, i.e. stretches of sand at the coast formed by wave action from the ocean - use natural=beach + surface=sand instead.
- flat areas with a sand surface that are water covered at high tide but exposed at low tide - use natural=wetland + wetland=tidalflat + surface=sand instead.
- bare ground areas with a significant fraction of finer (silt, clay) or coarser material (gravel, scree, shingle) - for some of these other tags exist (natural=scree, natural=shingle)
- underwater sandbanks - use natural=shoal instead.
- solidified sand, i.e. sandstone - use natural=bare_rock instead.
- coarse mapping of larger non-vegetated areas, i.e. deserts - use natural=desert instead.
- individual dunes in a larger sand covered area - use natural=dune instead.