|shop = general|
|A general store. Selling various things.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A. Selling various things.
This tag is a little unclear, partly because of the massive overlap with shop=supermarket and shop=convenience described below, and partly because of the two different usages of the term in the UK and US:
In the UK a "general stores" is grocery+other stuff - so basic foodstuffs, some ironmongery (=DIY), some stationery, and so on. It's an old-fashioned UK shop that is sadly dying out in the age of the supermarket.
Traditionally a "general store" is the main (and often only) store in a small town or village, usually selling things like tools, building supplies, clothes, food, and similar items. Usually they only carry a small selection of the most frequently demanded products.
A contemporary "general merchandiser" is typically larger and carries a similar selection of general merchandise, usually excluding food items. When divided into departments, may be considered a "department store" (e.g. Sears), although most contemporary department stores do not carry tools or building supplies.
How to map
Tags to use in combination
- shop=supermarket - Very similar but perhaps with more of a focus on food. Not the only shop in town? How to distinguish?
- shop=convenience - Very similar. Smaller than a supermarket. How to distinguish?
- shop=variety_store - May be similar. Sells discounted or very inexpensive goods.
- shop=department_store - A large store with multiple clothing and other general merchandise departments
- shop=doityourself - A shop primarily selling DIY, hardware, ironmongery, tools etc.