Talk:Proposed features/*=vehicle depot
I like your proposition in general, because it better uses existing categories, however it looks it would be problem when tagging tram depot: how one should tag railway=tram + railway=depot? Probably you need some other description, like: railway:tram=depot. --Kocio (talk) 12:36, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
- I added mention of depot subtag (idea from Proposed features/Depot). So tram depot may be tagged as landuse=commercial commercial=depot depot=tram Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 12:53, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
- What landuse should we use for example for tram depot? I am not sure commercial is the right one for depots in genral, maybe rather industrial or even railway. What is the justification? BTW: tram depot should be added to examples as it is very popular and the system is not that clear. Kocio (talk) 14:03, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
Thanks for adding the examples, but I still need some background why do you propose such landuses, because this is not clear for me. In particular:
- I don't know how to recognize "tram depot, operated as part of a railway system" from regular tram depot and I think this is artificial obstacle, because all the tram lines belong to the railway=* namespace anyway.
- I still don't get why bus depot should be treated as commercial rather than industrial entity - "Predominantly offices, business parks, etc." (business activity) is worse match for depots than "Predominantly workshops, factories or warehouses" (not only factories, but also other technical infrastructure). Visual hint: AFAIK landuse=railway uses the same color as industrial, so I expect bus depot to be in the same category.
Database hint: commercial=depot is not even used, while industrial=depot and railway=depot already are:
I have a problem with landuse=construction + construction=depot. Typically the construction key is used to store what the finished feature will be, e.g. highway=construction+construction=primary and the wiki page for construction=* suggests it may also be used on landuse. Breaking this would be confusing. —M!dgard [ talk ] 12:59, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
- Also: would you have to split the construction site (even making a multipolygon) to add a vehicle depot on it?
____________ 1: landuse=construction | ___ | name=OpenStreetMap Foundation HQ | | 2 | | | 1 |___| | 2: landuse=construction |____________| construction=depot
- —M!dgard [ talk ] 13:11, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
Why only vehicles?
- As suggested on mailing list I changed value to vehicle_depot to make it less misleading Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 21:42, 6 August 2015 (UTC)
- "to make it less misleading"? What is your plan for the other depots mentioned above? How do they fit into your system? Wikipedia shows many types of a depot, does it really make sense to invent a separate key for each one? I would like to choose a system that covers all your needs.
What about this system? https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Depot --Is-zUser (talk) 17:45, 31 October 2018 (UTC)
- "What is your plan for the other depots mentioned above?" invent other new tags if that is necessary Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 22:33, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
- "What about this system? https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Depot" - new landuse value for any kind of depot, no matter its use is a poor idea. Just a vehicle depot may contain tanks for army or busses for public transport or snowmobiles for tourists. The same top level landuse value for all of them is a poor idea Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 22:35, 25 November 2018 (UTC)