Talk:Proposed features/amenity=student accommodation

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion up to 14.07.2014

  • Thanks for the proposal. In British English, "dormitory" definitely doesn't apply to an entire area containing multiple buildings, a playground etc - so it's a real stretch in my (Brit Engl) opinion. Why would you not simply use a landuse=residential area covering that area? That's what I do for housing estates and other named residential areas. Compared against a housing estate, a student residence has many of the same features: a name, an operator, etc. Could it be, perhaps, that you might be happy to use landuse=residential? --Danstowell (talk) 09:36, 12 July 2014 (UTC)
    • I'd agree totally with Danstowell here. We would usually refer to these as Halls of Residence for university-owned student accommodation. I think sub- or adjectival tagging is the way to go here: e.g., landuse=residential with residential=hall_of_residence (or just residential=student_accommodaton). I have used a similar scheme for 'student villages' a newish form of dedicated for-profit student accommodation in the UK, partly because its interesting to find such places. SK53 (talk) 09:44, 12 July 2014 (UTC)
    • Thank you for the fast feedback. My English is not that good, I just took the value from building=dormitory, but that should not be the problem. To give an answer to your final question: I'm not happy. If you tag a landuse=residential with name=*, it says that this is the area of a named residential area (in German: Wohngebiet), that consists of several roads and a certain number of houses. Student villages can't be described like that in many cases. The example given in the proposal is an exception, but as it says in the text, it's the biggest one in Germany. The majority of student villages is much smaller and includes only few buildings, in my opinion that is far too small to be considered as an own residential area. Another point is: If this tag is unnecessary, why is there a tag amenity=retirement_home in use? I don't think that the difference between these two is not that big that one is tagged and the other one is not. --Hno 11:21, 12 July 2014 (UTC)
      • I agree, a landuse is not suitable here. For mapping these facilities, an amenity tag is definitely the right choice. --Tordanik 11:31, 12 July 2014 (UTC)
      • I have no opinion on retirement_home - let's judge this proposal on its own merits. Could you explain why a small student village is "too small to be considered as an own residential area"? I often tag small areas (e.g. an area of 4 buildings) as residential areas, and I don't know of any argument that says "residential area" has a minimum size. Maybe cross-cultural differences here? --Danstowell (talk) 17:32, 12 July 2014 (UTC)
      • I see no problem with "too small", I frequently mark residential areas for single home Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 18:08, 12 July 2014 (UTC)
        • Nevertheless, a landuse definitely does not express that this is a single facility operated as a whole by some entity. And I really wonder why everyone wants to move this into landuse when the real issue is the value, not the key. If "dormitory" would not be idiomatic usage, why not amenity=student_accomodation? --Tordanik 10:43, 13 July 2014 (UTC)
        • I think this depends entirely. Note my use of student_village is not meant for generic description of this type of facility, but for a recent development in the UK (see for example Raleigh Park in Nottingham). Use of an amenity=* is not precluded, because there is as yet no good mechanism for identifying campus-based accommodation (quite frequent on British Universities from 1950s-1970s). There are a number of private developments in the centre of Nottingham now explictly for students (Talbot & Mansion studios at this location, and several historic buildings in the city of Caceres are student hostels, such as the Colegio Mayor "Franciso de Sande"[1]. In Cambridge student accommodation which is not within a college building has still been mapped as building=university. I'm still in favour of sensible use of the landuse=residential.
        • So why don't we use landuse=residential on single houses and name it each time? As long as landuse=residential is not named, you may split it into square metres. But to define a named (!) residential area, it should be obvious to see where the area begins or where it ends, why it is named differently than the neighboring residential areas. That is in the first place defined by the building's architecture or their borders (streets, rivers, natural borders etc.). Just because there are in two of a hundred similar-looking houses only students living, the two houses are not an own residential area, rather part of one. --Hno 11:24, 14 July 2014 (UTC)
        • To make it short: It's equivalent to place=neighbourhood. Student homes do not fulfill the criteria for that.--Hno 10:21, 16 July 2014 (UTC)