|Definition:||a physical (crossable or non crossable) or legal divider between the lanes of a single carriageway; left (right) turns and u-turns are not possible resp. are not allowed|
Proposed new tag: divider=physical|legal
Divider - a divider on a single carriageway is a description of a way which has a physical or legal divider that divides opposing direction lanes and prevents crossing the way in a particular direction. In right side driving countries left turns and u-turns are not allowed, in left side driving countries right turns and u-turns are not allowed.
There are various physical divider types, either crossable or non crossable: concrete barriers or wall (e.g., Jersey Barrier (Wikipedia)), grass strips, tram tracks
There are several legal divider types: double or single solid lines (no legal crossing), solid lines+stripes (no legal crossing in one direction), painted areas.
A divider also describes prohibited turn restrictions.
There exists a similar GDF composite attribute "Divider", consisting of the sub-attributes "Divided Road Element" (boolean), "Divider Type" (with values: physical+not crossable, physical+crossable, legal=not physical), and "Divider Width" (width in metres). This proposal merges the first two attributes into one tag.
- Ways, restricted to single carriageways with opposing direction lanes
<tag k="highway" v="..."/> <tag k="divider" v="solid_line"/>
- No divider:
- none (can be used to explicitly mark the absence of a divider)
- Physical, not crossable:
- grass_strip (this divides indicates a dual carriageway, i.e., two parallel ways for the opposing driving directions)
- Physical, crossable:
- dots (subsumes all raised pavement markers)
- tram_tracks (with no kerbs)
- Not physical, legal:
- solid_line (either double or single solid line depending on the country)
- solid_area (like solid_line; painted area)
- solid_line+stripes, stripes+solid_line (a solid_line which is legally crossable from one side; this makes "divider" dependent on the direction of the way)
With the exception of "none", "solid_line+stripes", and "stripes+solid_line", all divider values describes that it is not allowed (or not possible) crossing the way.
The way according to the highway tag with a thin solid line in an appropriate color in the middle of the way.
If a way is only partially divided, the divider and the divided section has to be specified using a relationship. This relationship consists of the members way, start node, and end node of the divided section, and the tag "type=divider" and "divider=...".
Please use the discussion page for comments.
Voting has not started. Please comment the proposal.