|Status:||Proposed (under way)|
|Definition:||To specify the level of education provided by an educational establishment (school, college, university)|
To define the level of education to be used in association with amenity=kindergarten, amenity=school, amenity=college and amenity=university based on the wikipedia:ISCED international scale. This proposal follows a discussion on Talk:Tag:amenity=school.
The level of education should be specified using isced:level=*.
|0||Pre-primary education||initial stage of organized instruction, designed primarily to introduce very young children to a school-type environment|
|1||Primary education or first stage of basic education||normally starting between the ages of 5 and 7, designed to give a sound basic education in reading, writing and mathematics along with an elementary understanding of other subjects|
|2||Lower secondary or second stage of basic education||designed to complete basic education, usually on a more subject-oriented pattern|
|3||(Upper) secondary education||more specialized education typically beginning at age 15 or 16 years and/or the end of compulsory education|
|4||Post-secondary non-tertiary education||captures programmes that straddle the boundary between upper- and post-secondary education from an international point of view, e.g. pre-university courses or short vocational programmes|
|5||First stage of tertiary education||tertiary programmes having an advanced educational content, cross-classified by field (see below)|
|6||Second stage of tertiary education||tertiary programmes leading to the award of an advanced research qualification, e.g. Doctor of Philosophy, cross-classified by field (see below)|
A detailed description of each level can be found here.
Representation of multiple values. A number of methods have been proposed:
- number range (0-3) specifying the lowest and highest levels
- number list (0,1,2,3) or (0;1;2;3)
The isced:field=* (or type possibly) could be used to define the range of courses and education available.
Conversion of local terms
|Denmark source||Børnehave, børnehaveklasse||Folkeskole 1-6. klasse||Folkeskole 7-10. klasse||Gymnasium, HHX, HTX, HF, erhvervsuddannelser||Gymnasiale adgangskurser||Universitet, videregående uddannelser|
|Finland source||Esiopetus päiväkodeissa||Peruskoulun luokat 1-6||Peruskoulun luokat 7-9(-10)||Lukio, keskiasteen ammatillinen koulutus||Erikoisammattitutkinnot||Korkea-asteen koulutus||Lisensiaatin ja tohtorin tutkinnot|
|Germany||Kindergarten||Grundschule||Sekundarstufe I||Sekundarstufe II||Fachschule, Universität||Universität|
|Italy||scuola dell'infanzia (o scuola materna).||scuola primaria (o scuola elementare).||scuola secondaria di primo grado (o scuola media).||scuola secondaria di secondo grado (o scuola superiore, liceo, ...).||università (laurea e laurea magistrale).||università (dottorato di ricerca).|
|New Zealand source||ECE centres (playcentres, kindergartens, kōhanga reo, etc.) serving ages 3-5||Schools serving Years 1-6||Schools serving Years 7-10|| Schools serving Years 11 onwards
Tertiary institutions offering NZQA Levels 1-3 (certificates)
|Tertiary institutions offering NZQA Level 4 (certificates)||Tertiary institutions offering NZQA Levels 5-9 (certificates, diplomas, bachelors, grad. diplomas, post-grad diplomas, bachelors with honours, masters)||Tertiary institutions offering NZQA Level 10 (doctorates)|
|Russia source||Детский сад, ясли, предшкола||Средняя общеобразовательная школа: Начальная школа; прогимназия||Средняя общеобразовательная школа: Основное общее образование; гимназия, лицей, экстернат||Средняя общеобразовательная школа: Среднее (полное) общее образование||ПТУ, технический лицей||Колледж, техникум; Бакалавриат и магистратура (или их эквиваленты): Университет\институт, академия, национальный исследовательский университет, федеральный университет||Послевузовское профессиональное образование: докторантура или её эквивалент|
|Slovakia||Predškolské vzdelávanie (škôlka)||Prvý stupeň základnej školy (1.-4. ročník)||Druhý stupeň základnej školy (5.-9. ročník)||Gymnázium, stredná škola||Pomaturitné odborné vzdelávanie (nie vysoká škola)||Vysokoškolské vzdelávanie I. a II. stupňa (vysoká škola, univerzita)||Vysokoškolské vzdelávanie III. stupňa (doktorandské štúdium, PhD.)|
|Spain||Educación Infantil||Educación Primaria Obligatoria||Educacion Secundaria Obligatoria||Bachillerato||Spain has no courses at this level.||Ciclo formativo de grado superior||Grado Universitario|
|Sweden source||Förskola,||Grundskola årskurs 1-6||Grundskola årskurs 7-9||Gymnasieskola||Basår/Komvux/Folkhögskola
KY (<2 år)
KY (2–3 år)
|United Kingdom||Preschool||Primary school, Middle school||Secondary school (without 6th form).
With sixth form use '2-3'.
|Sixth form college, College||University||University|
a detailed mapping for each country can be found here
See Talk:Tag:amenity=school#Level of education for the archived discussion prior to the creation of this page. Please continue the discussion below.
I've been using isced:level on schools in the UK, the only downside for me is the use of integer values but I think using an existing standard trumps that concern. Additionally, although the values don't always fully describe the school I think they give a useful approximation. Below are some examples of how I am using the tag at the moment in the UK
- Primary Schools, isced:level=1
- Secondary, isced:level=2
- Secondary + 6th form, isced:level=2-3
- College, isced:level=3
- I haven't made any use of isced:field
--Craigloftus 15:03, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks for the feedback. It might be useful to create one of those wiki tables with a row per country which then describes how to convert from the local terms to each of the international terms. PeterIto 15:19, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
- I have created a table for conversion from local terminology to isced values based on your UK proposals given above. We also need to agree values for pre-school, middle school, university etc. PeterIto 15:30, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
- Updated UK table. Can I suggest that a college in the UK would be level 4, not 3? PeterIto 15:35, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
- When I said "don't always fully describe" this was one issue I was referring to. The spec is written with reference to a 3 tier education system, which at the moment doesn't quite apply to the UK with our non-compulsory further education (A-levels etc), however, A-levels are not pre-university qualifications in the sense of the specification. Additionally from 2013 further education will be compulsory, at which point the distinction will be clearer. --Craigloftus 15:05, 8 February 2012 (UTC)
For example of applying ISCED to national educational systems, please refer to this file where you can see the ISCED mapping for many countries (including the UK mentioned above). --ALE! 13:50, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Excellent, we will just use that one. The only level 4 in the UK is HE Access courses, so it would seem that many colleges will indeed be level 4. I don't know much about availability of HE Access courses generally, does anyone know how wide spread these are, i.e., what should be the recommendation for mappers? --Craigloftus 14:17, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
GermanyGreat initiative, but for Germany this is still not sufficient. E.g. isced:level=2 would still contain all regular German school types (Hauptschule, Realschule, Gymnasium, Gesamtschule). Dieterdreist 13:39, 15 June 2012 (BST)
- Have you checked the detailed mappings for Germany? Please see .
The system doesn't break very nicely with the New Zealand schooling system. The Years are the same as the UK, but there are several different types of schools breaking at different points, and it could get messy. We have 1-6, 1-8, 7-8, 9-13, 7-13, 1-13, 7-10, 11-13, 7-9, 1-10... At the moment, I am adding a tag to New Zealand schools, MOE:years=*, to describe the school years it serves as an interim measure. Lcmortensen 11:05, 25 January 2013 (UTC)
ISCED 2011 update, cf. 1997
I intend to update the table is OSM following the one in Wikipedia:ISCED#ISCED_2011_levels_of_education_and_comparison_with_ISCED_1997. Any objections? It seems backwards compatible: new levels only at the top, and textual descriptions seem minor. Please confirm, thanks. Fgnievinski (talk) 20:01, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
- Just noticed that currently UNESCO provides national mappings only for the older 1997 edition . They acknowledge new mappings are coming -- better wait and see? Fgnievinski (talk) 20:25, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
The first international data collection based on ISCED 2011 will take place in 2014. In preparation, the UIS is working with countries to map their national education programmes and qualifications to ISCED 2011. As they are updated, these mappings will be available on the UIS website, alongside current mappings of national education programmes to ISCED 1997.
- ISCED categories and sub-categories, in addition to levels, do seem great, check it out: Wikipedia:ISCED#ISCED 2011 Levels, categories, and sub-categories. Fgnievinski (talk) 20:47, 5 August 2013 (UTC)