Proposed features/Internet cafe
|The Feature Page for the approved proposal Internet cafe is located at Tag:amenity=internet_cafe.|
|Definition:||A place whose principal role is providing internet services.|
|Rendered as:||"at sign" icon|
Distinguish "internet cafés" (places that sell internet service) from "cafés" (places that sell food and beverages) which offer internet access as a sideline to their main business. Also distinguish "internet cafés" from "LAN gaming centres".
However, the internet_access=* page says an "internet cafe" should be tagged as a "cafe". Historically, internet cafes often did indeed sell beverages or food, but this is not their primary business, and I don't believe they are properly classified as "cafes". (See also the discussion pages for Talk:Key:internet_access and Talk:Proposed_features/Copy_Shop, both of which make the same point.)
They are really different sorts of animal.
During discussion, it was felt that LAN gaming centres are also sufficiently different to be distinguished. I have not written a proposal for such a tag, but leave that to others. The discussion remains on the talk page.
There are already several hundred internet cafés in Taginfo.
Globally, such a business is also known as a cybercafé, taxiphone, téléboutique, coffee net, café net, net café, lanhouse, etc. It offers hardware, usually personal computers, that is dedicated to internet access service, hence the implied internet_access=yes and service:computer=yes tags. A fee is normally charged, hence the implied internet_access:fee=yes tag.
|internet_access=*||Nature of internet access (default is yes, but the full range of options is available to specify the nature of the access).|
|internet_access:fee=*||Whether a fee is charged (default is yes).|
|service:computer=yes/no||If the place offers computers for use (default is yes).|
|service:copy=yes/no||If you can make photocopies.|
|service:fax=yes/no||If you can send and/or receive a fax.|
|service:phone=yes/no||If phones are available.|
|service:print=yes/no||Place provides printing services for PC works, usually only for a small number of copies.|
|service:scan=yes/no||If you can scan a paper document into a digital file.|
|service:gaming=yes/no||If online gaming is available.|
Nodes and areas.
Can be rendered using the "at sign" icon.
The internet_access=* wiki page would need to be corrected to refer people to this tag rather than the amenity=cafe tag for internet cafés.
Please comment on the discussion page.
- I approve this proposal. --Joost schouppe (talk) 14:43, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Juanblas09 (talk) 13:29, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Johnparis (talk) 08:52, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Kelerei (talk) 09:12, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --CENTSOARER (talk) 02:23, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Hyances (talk) 03:51, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --51114u9 (talk) 04:14, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Peter Mead (talk) 10:52, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Wille (talk) 12:33, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --AgusQui (talk) 13:20, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Hernan (talk) 13:24, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Waldhans (talk) 14:21, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --User 5359 (talk) 17:27, 8 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. -- Species 08:58, 9 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Village (talk) 09:30, 9 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. However, I only approve the main tag, not the subkeys, which are a botch. The links go to wrong pages such as the subtags of highway/railway=service. I also don't see what service:gaming=* is needed for. The top of the page says that LAN gaming centres shall not be tagged as internet cafes in the first place. On the other hand, you can play over the Internet in every internet cafe, so in that sense service:gaming=* would always be yes. Another flaw is that the proposal does not tell how to specify the availability of beverages and food. That those are "not their primary business" does not mean that they are not sold at all. Do we invent tags like service:drinks=yes/no and service:food=yes/no, or do we use cuisine=*? With cuisine=drinks when there's no food? And cuisine=no when there's not even beverages? Or is it cuisine=none? I'm afraid that these details have not been properly worked out and we'll need a cleanup proposal later on. --Fkv (talk) 11:30, 9 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Chihchun (talk) 01:40, 11 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Juane90 (talk) 23:42, 11 April 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Lks1 (talk) 01:36, 13 April 2016 (UTC)