|Definition:||Providing a tag for a way where driving is encouraged (preferred) or not recommended (avoid) for obvious reasons|
|Rendered as:||orange dots on way (avoid)|
This tag provides a recommendation for ways where driving or walking is not explicitly prohibited, but not recommended.
- motorcar=avoid if a street is too narrow to drive through
- motorcycle=avoid if a street has too many potholes
- foot=avoid if a street is too busy
- access=avoid if going there is explicitly not recommended for obvious reasons, e.g. because these ways are used by aggressive drug dealers.
This tag provides a recommendation for ways where using a deviation is officially encouraged.
- motorcar=preferred if a deviation has no obstacles
- motorcycle=preferred if an alternative road has many curves
- bicycle=preferred if a deviation is a safe cycleway
- foot=preferred if a deviation is a safe footpath
- access=preferred if going there is explicitly encouraged by street signs, e.g. because there is a tourist attraction.
There was a dispute whether to use bicycle=no for roads with separate cycleways. Riding a bicycle on busy roads is not prohibited by law in any case, but many people feel uncomfortable to do so.
access=avoid gives an opportunity to designate areas where no official prohibition applies, but common sense recommends not to go there.
access=preferred gives an opportunity to facilitate routing.