|latitude: 64.86, longitude: -18.52|
|Browse map of Iceland 64°51′36″ N, 18°31′12″ W|
|Use this template for your city|
- 1 Mailing list
- 2 Data sources
- 3 Import work
- 4 TODO
- 4.1 Highways
- 4.2 Public Transport
- 4.3 Cycling paths, lanes and routes
- 4.4 Pistes
- 4.5 Glaciers
- 4.6 Urban areas
- 4.6.1 The capital area
- 18.104.22.168 Reykjavík
- 22.214.171.124 Rural areas
- 4.6.2 Akranes
- 4.6.3 Akureyri
- 4.6.4 Seltjarnarnes
- 4.6.5 Selfoss
- 4.6.1 The capital area
- 4.7 POI work
- 5 People involved
- 6 See also
- 7 External Links
Free data sources
These have been confirmed to be under OSM compatible licenses and can be used while mapping:
- Vegaskrá from Vegagerðin is a public domain document, according to email correspondence with Vegagerðin. This means it can be used as a source of names and numbers for roads. We use the more common names for the ring road, but other than that, the vegaskrá is probably a good source. I followed up with Vegagerðin, asking if they had shapefiles or anything similar for the entire roadnetwork, as of October 11, they "do not provide any shapefiles or similar datasets for outside use" I didn't feel like pushing any further, though I'm sure that they probably could be convinced to do so if someone really wanted.
- Uppdráttr Íslands - A map of Iceland from 1844, can be useful for finding place names in combination with landsat imagery.
- Póstnúmera- og götuskrá póstsins. See  and Iceland postal code database which describes the data format.
- Friðlýst svæði á Íslandi - Nature reserve coordinates from Umhverfisstofnun.
Data already available
Some data is mapped based on sources provided by public agencies and other agreements OSM has made and mappers should be careful not to "correct" that data unless they have a good reason to.
- BING has an ongoing agreement with OSM to use its images. They licensed areal photos of Reykjavík from Loftmyndir ehf which are pretty good but are from the year 2004. Be careful of using the areal photos to edit areas in Reykjavík which have changed after that.
- LUKR pathway data is available and there's an agreement for a yearly update. The pathways are on OSM but don't appear until they're verified.
- Garðabær provided outlines of streets and pathways which have been processed. It still needs work and the town could use some POIs.
Potential data sources
- Á vefsvæðinu Ísland.is má finna lista yfir Sveitafélög og Opinberar stofnanir.
- Í skýrslunni Gagnagrunnar á Íslandi um náttúru, umhverfi og orku má finna upplýsingar um gagnagrunna sem hægt væri að nýta.
- Á vegum Ferðaklúbbsins 4x4 er starfandi Ferlaráð sem safnar ferlum af hálendinu í samstarfi við Landmælingar Íslands. Þeirra hagur væri rútanlega Garmin kortið og mikil kortagerðaþekking OpenStreetMap samfélagsins. (áður en haft er samband ættum við að kynna okkur hálendiskortlagningu OpenStreetMap í öðrum löndum).
- The city of reykjavik, operating Borgarvefsjá replied to my query about licensing with this,
You are free to use what you see in Borgarvefsjá. You can download it through the Print button, which is nr. 9 from left on the tool bar on the lower edge of the screen. You should let be seen from where you get the data if you are publishing some products based on this data on the Internet.
I don't feel that's very clear, and I don't feel like chasing it up further, but anyone else feel free to, in the meantime, I won't be using it. I can provide the details of who I was talking to there if anyone wants Kpalsson 22:30, 25 October 2007 (BST)
- Óbyggðanefnd - Óbyggðanefnd is working on defining borders of commons owned by the government (þjóðlendur) as distinct from private property. It would be good to get these borders on OSM as they're very useful for e.g. hunting.
- LMÍ maintains a database called lýsigagnavefurinn which aggregates map databases of Iceland. A lot of these are privately owned and some might be willing to donate data.
- A database of swimming pools is at sundlaugar.is.
- A database of camp sites is at tjalda.is.
- List of protected areas in 2011. The coordinates of the borders could be defined in the declerations of protection which are referred to in the report. Many of them refer to ads in the Icelandic Law Gazette, which are exempt from copyright. Also includes information which might or might not be useful to record in OSM.
Official non-copyrighted data sources
Sources that include official information which is exempted from Icelandic copyright law and can therefore be used freely.
If you have implemented the source to its full extent into OSM, please put [implemented] in the front (and after the star).
- Total weight and axle weight for vehicles on national highways. Ad 258/2013 in the Law Gazette
- Protection of Álafoss in Varmá in Mosfellsbær (coordinates in ISN93). Ad B461/2013 in the Law Gazette. Drawing of the protected area in the PDF.
- Protection of Blábjörg (coordinates in ISN93). Ad B1306/2012 in the Law Gazette. Drawing of the protected area in the PDF.
- Protection of Tungufoss in Kaldakvísl in Mosfellsbær (coordinates in ISN93). Ad B462/2013 in the Law Gazette. Drawing of the protected area in the PDF.
- Traffic in Akranes. Ad B406/2006 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Akranes. Ad B947/2006 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Akranes. Ad B960/2008 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Akranes. Ad B1071/2012 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in the capital area. Ad B347/2013 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Fjarðabyggð. Ad B687/2014 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Fljótsdalshérað. Ad B512/2010 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Flúðir. Ad B842/2012 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Grundarfjörður. Ad B610/2007 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Hvolsvöllur, Rangárþing eystra. Ad B121/2014 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Kópavogur. Ad B1177/2006 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Mosfellsbær. Ad B158/2011 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Mosfellsbær. Ad B266/2014 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Reykjavík. Ad B1026/2012 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Reykjavík. Ad B1198/2012 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Reykjavík. Ad B543/2013 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Reykjavík. Ad B695/2013 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Reykjavík. Ad B887/2013 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Reykjavík. Ad B486/2014 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Reykjavík. Ad B568/2014 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Sandgerði (the airport area). Ad B958/2014 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Sauðárkrókur. Ad B372/2014 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Seltjarnarnes. Ad B743/2006 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Seltjarnarnes. Ad B908/2010 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Seyðisfjarðarkaupstaður. Ad B726/2006 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Siglufjörður and Ólafsfjörður. Ad B531/2008 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Siglufjörður. Ad B532/2008 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Stykkishólmur. Ad B9/2007 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Vestmannaeyjar. Ad B337/2006 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Vestmannaeyjar. Ad B802/2006 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Vestmannaeyjar. Ad B371/2008 in the Law Gazette.
- Traffic in Vestmannaeyjar. Ad B712/2013 in the Law Gazette.
- Property numbers of some houses in Fjarðabyggð. Ad B880/2013 in the Law Gazette.
Contacted owners of data sources
|Data owner||Contact (i.e. department)||Data requested||Status||User|
|Siglingastofnun||Þórunn Elín Elínardóttir||Hafnarkort||(2009-10-15) Contacted via email, recieved reply with further questions. Qestions answered. Waiting further reply.||Þórir Már|
|Landhelgisgæslan||Vitaskrá||(2009-10-15) No contact made yet.|
|Bæjarskrifstofur Seltjarnarness||Ólafur Melsteð||Data from Landupplýsingakerfi Seltjarnarness||(2009-10-27) Email sent to Ólafur Melsteð||Þórir Már|
|Hafnarfjörður||Guðjón Ingi Ellertsson, skipulags- og byggingasvið||Street and path coordinates, location of streets and house numbers, height lines||Official request to Skipulags- og byggingaráð||Svavar Kjarrval|
|Garðabær||Eysteinn Haraldsson, bæjarverkfræðingur||Any data useful for maps||Request approved. Got outlines for streets and pathways in Microstation DGN format.||Svavar Kjarrval|
|Mosfellsbær||Þór Sigurþórsson & Tómas Guðberg Gíslason, employees at Tækni- og umhverfissvið||Any data useful for maps||(2010-11-29) E-mail sent to Þór Sigurþórsson & Tómas Guðberg Gíslason||Svavar Kjarrval|
|Umhverfisstofnun||Jón Örvar Geirsson Jónsson, Svið fræðslu og upplýsinga||Nature reserve coordinates||(2011-04-28) Request approved.||Davíð Jakobsson|
Verkefni: Bréf til sveitarstjórna - er á sér síðu vegna umfangs
Ongoing import work
We are working on importing a dataset donated by Reykjavík city, more info here: WikiProject_Iceland/LUKR.
Nature reserve import, tagging scheme described here: WikiProject_Iceland/nature_reserve.
Finished import work
See WikiProject_Iceland/ourFootPrints for information on the ourFootPrints import.
We're trying to map all the highways (Icelandic: Þjóðvegi) in Iceland. A list of them is maintained on the Icelandic Wikipedia and in addition Vegagerðin maintains vegaskrá which is a more detailed document.
Beside the list on Wikipedia, there is another list to see the progress on the Icelandic road system.
We should create a route relation for each highway, see the relation for Þjóðvegur #1 for an example, when you add a relation please add it to the Wikipedia page so that we'll eventually get a complete listing of all the national highways we've mapped.
The Ring road is linked up all the way round. It's somewhat coarse, but as people add in the roads along the edges, points can be added and dragged to make a better fit.
- 1 Suðurlandsvegur - Done for the most part. Need to add bridges and work on some of the junctions (e.g., the roundabouts in Hveragerði and Selfoss). Bridges are done around skeiðarásandur, but not necessarily tagged as single lane, nor are they completely done. River names, helpful for matching up the sign posts, are only done for a couple of big rivers.
- 1 Austurlandsvegur - Done for the most part. Need to add bridges.
- 1 Norðurlandsvegur - Done for the most part. Need to add bridges.
- 1 Vesturlandsvegur - Done for the most part. Need to add bridges.
- Lyngdalsheiðarvegur (365) between þingvallavatn and laugarvatn is marked, but needs the paved/unpaved sections marked.
See here: WikiProject_Iceland/Public Transport
Cycling paths, lanes and routes
See here : WikiProject_Iceland/Cycleways
Skiing areas need mapping in Iceland, the coordination page for this is WikiProject_Piste_Maps#Iceland
Named child glaciers in the south should probably be marked separately, possibly just with a point on the named tongue? Of course, I'm not sure of a copyright free source of these names.
A list on Trello details which urban areas have had their buildings mapped. Anyone is free to join in.
The capital area
The Greater Reykjavík Area consists of 8 municipalities. Around 200,000 people live in the capital area, or around 65% of the population of Iceland .
- Better surveying/tagging of Langholtskirkja, Sólheimabókasafn, parking spaces, and possibly some landuse inside the Skeiðarvogur-Langholtsvegur-Sólheimar area (LUKR)
- The parking lot (LUKR) between Álfheimar and TBR
- Some streets and parking lots (LUKR) east of Sæbraut, between Kleppsmýrarvegur and Holtavegur
- The large apartment building (LUKR) in Mörkin
- The playground (LUKR) between Sigluvogur and Drekavogur
- A few cycleway underpasses (LUKR) near Sægarðar
- Some footways (LUKR) between Sæviðarsund and Kleppsvegur
- Lautarvegur, and the rest of Skógarvegur and Sléttuvegur (LUKR) are unsurveyed
- The footpaths in Grasagarðurinn (LUKR), as well as to the northwest of Grasagarðurinn
- Landuse between Grasagarðurinn and Fjölskyldugarðurinn (LUKR)
- Parking lot and a couple of buildings (LUKR) near Réttarholtsskóli
- Kindergarten (LUKR) behind Réttarholtsskóli
- Substreets (LUKR) of the west end of Sogavegur
- Parking in Ásgarður (LUKR)
- Landuse of the forest area (LUKR) east of Réttarholtskirkja
- A substreet (LUKR) at the southeast end Rauðagerði
- Parking lot (LUKR) in Dalbraut
- Parking lot (LUKR) in Laugarnesvegur
- Parking lot (LUKR) in Brekkulækur
- Parking lot (LUKR) in Rauðalækur
- The playground (LUKR) near Rauðalækur
Heiðmörk & Vífilsstaðir
- The bridleways (ja.is) southeast of Vífilsstaðavöllur and beyond need to be surveyed
- Vífilsstaðavöllur (ja.is) could use more detailed mapping
- The north-south road that goes from Strípsvegur to Hjallabraut is unnamed
- The rest of the bridleway extending west (ja.is), which starts at the south-east of Guðmundarlundur, needs to be surveyed
- More detailed mapping of the footways, parking, campsites, roads, bridleways, etc (ja.is) along (and to the southeast of) Hlíðarvegur
- A short road or bridleway (ja.is) adjacent to and to the west of Guðmundarlundur, as well as another one extending westward all the way to Hlíðarvegur
- Grunnavatn (ja.is), north of the westward road mentioned above
- Town road network 98% mapped
- Great landuse coverage
- More POIs
- The outdoor area to the north-east of the town
- The golf course to the north-east of the town
- The farms adjacent to Innesvegur and Akrafjallsvegur
- The industrial area off Akrafjallsvegur to the north of town
- The coastline - it is quite inaccurate in places
- Streets finished
- The Hlíðarfjall skiing area underway, see WikiProject Piste Maps.
- Map more footways, some are there but more are needed
- Map ways outside the main town, such as in Kjarnaskógur, Hesthúsahverfi
- Bus relations:
- Relation 1a:
- Relation 1b:
- Relation 2a:
- Relation 2b:
- Relation 3a:
- Relation 3b:
- Relation 4a:
- Relation 4b:
- Streets and tracks done
- Cycleways done
- Landuse needs work
- Buildings done
- Sidewalks 50% done
- POI's need work
- Road network around 60% complete
- Needs more detailed landuse
- WikiProject Iceland/Cycleways - A sub-project for mapping cycleways
Check http://osm.is/poi/ and find out what kind of data is missing. See if there's a non-copyrighted list which might help us get the remaining information to put into OSM. If no such list is public, one might check who would have the data and maybe request it.
- Only 2 public phones listed in Iceland (as of November 30th 2012). There are many more according to the authorities: http://pfs.is/default.aspx?cat_id=193&module_id=210&element_id=2903 .
See also: Category:Users in Iceland
- Bjarki Sigursveinsson
- Þórir Már Jónsson
- Karl Palsson
- Þórir Tryggvason
- Jóna Þórunn Ragnarsdóttir
- Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
- Davíð Jakobsson
- Snorri Guðjón Sigurðsson
- Hinrik Örn Sigurðsson
- Svavar Kjarrval
- Garmin map of Iceland - The OSM map of Iceland on your Garmin, updated daily
- Contours for Iceland - Free and non-free sources of contours for Iceland.
- Quality control with Osmose - Quality control with Osmose