Bradford/Mapping Party 2008
This party, which ran over the weekend on 27th & 28th September 2008, was a great success. See the animation link below for a cool display of the weekend activity (animated GPS traces). We hope those in the Bradford area will now engage with the need to complete the city outside the main ringroad. Thanks to everyone that took part. blackadder 08:59, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
- What - An OpenStreetMap Mapping Weekend in Bradford, UK sponsored by Cloudmade.
- Aim - To map as many highways, cycleways and footpaths as possible within the A6177 ringroad.
- Who - Open to all, experienced OSM'ers and new participants alike.
- How - Bring along some transport (feet, bike, horse, car, bus etc) and if you have one a GPS receiver, and also if you have one a digital camera or Dictaphone. There will be a number of GPS receivers available to loan if you need one though.
- More? - See below for more details. There is also a Q&A leaflet available which may be useful if you are new to OpenStreetMap.
- Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th September 2008
Our base will be right in the centre of Bradford at:
Pullman Suite (with internet access)
Lat/Lon: 53.7954,-1.7523 - Map
There is free car parking at the venue. Directions from here
More about Bradford on wikipedia
Programme of Events
- Saturday 27th - Meet at 10:00am (From 9:00am for setting up) for refreshments, training and dividing up the cake. Return at lunchtime or stay out all day, up to you. From 4pm till 5:30pm wrap up back at venue before heading out to the pub.
- Saturday evening - New Beehive for drinks followed by a curry at Omars.
- Sunday 28th - Meet at 10:00am for refreshments, review of Saturday and further dividing up the cake. Return at lunchtime or stay out all day, up to you. From 4pm till 5:30pm wrap up back at venue before heading home.
Please add your name if you plan to come along just so we get an idea of numbers and experience.
- Blackadder is the organiser and will be there all weekend
- Imran Ali
- Sward will be there all weekend.
- Gregory Marler sees it as a possibility. (wouldn't mind sleeping on someone's floor)
- Richard B will be there both days
- John Hudson - would like to borrow GPS.
- Deb Lupton
- Colin Magill
- Jon Stockill should be able to make all weekend.
- Paul Brook
- Nick Barnes will be there all weekend.
- Daniel Silverstone will likely attend.
- Brian Quinion will be there all weekend, bike.
- Smsm1 Saturday only, with bike
- David Spencer
- Bradford Forster Square, A stones throw from the venue.
- Bradford Interchange, 500m south of the venue
- print train tickets
Bradford in West Yorkshire is located at the end of the M606, which can be reached from Junction 26 off the M62.
Somewhere to stay?
- The 3 star Midland Hotel (the mapping party venue) is offering us single rooms at £65 per night including breakfast.
- Express By Holiday Inn, Vicar Lane, BD1 5LD. 0871 423 4931
- Travelodge - Mid Point, Dick Lane, Thornbury, BD3 7AY - 2 miles from centre. 0871 984 6124
- Add some other & cheaper accommodation options. Can anyone offer floor or bed space for fellow mappers?
Where are people staying?
Mapping - The Cake
While everyone is free to map where and what they like there is a big benefit in co-ordinating the effort. If you would like to map in a specific area add the area number(s) alongside your name below. If you want to map somewhere else around Bradford or the surrounding places that's cool too.
- Blackadder will be mapping by bicycle
- User:Sward will be mapping by bicycle
- RichardB will be mapping by bicycle if the weather is reasonable... Will also have the car with him.
- LastGrape/Gregory (LwD) should be on a bicycle, might give the party a miss if I haven't got a bike by then
- Nick Barnes will be mapping by foot (be kind to me with my slice!)
- Daniel Silverstone is prepared to map by foot, or in a car. The former if in a group of three or more, the latter if not. If in a car, I'm offering to do cake parts 8 and 9 since they are reasonably bounded road-wise and don't seem to contain much in the way of by-foot stuff.
Other Things to do and see in Bradford over the Weekend
- Omars - cheap and very good curry place, apparently
- New Beehive pub on Westgate
Anything interesting happening?
- Sat 27th Gasworks Bar 9 Duke Street, Bradford, BD1 3QR, Aynt Skynyrd - 9-piece tribute to the Southern Boogie Kings.
Things to see in Bradford:
- National Media Museum
- Cartwright Hall
- Saltaire UNESCO World Heritage Site - Also the location for David Hockney art