|This article or section may contain out-of-date information: Nowadays there (at least) is the ccbysa fork Fosm.org. Rather look on that page.
If you know about the current state of affairs, please help keep everyone informed by updating this information. (Discuss)
Please fill in and organise this page draft.
- 1 Steps to take
- 2 Reasons for not accepting
- 3 Find new Server Infrastructure
- 4 Setup a new alternative board and organisation
- 5 Further work to convince the OSMF and others that the change to the Odbl in its current form is not acceptable
- 6 Make it possible for new member to join again OSM without accepting the Odbl
- 7 Find a new Project name
- 8 Find a logo
- 9 Find a domainname
- 10 Create a new organisation that owns the domainname and the trademark rights for the project name and logo
- 11 Modifying mapping tools like JOSM that they support multiple data servers for down- and uploads
- 12 Communication strategy
Steps to take
Do not accept the odbl and convince as many mappers as you can to not accept the odbl license
Put your ideas here on how we can best achieve this.
- See User:Frederik Ramm/A message to those who want a fork for reasons why such negativity is bad.
Find a new appropriate Domain
I have just registered openfreemap.org and openfreemap.com (I currently forward them to my own website (cannot forward here due to technical reasons), but will forward them to our new page when decided). I would happily hand them over for free to our "Fork" once we get going. (it is easier to register a domain before talking about it... don't want some Cloudmade/Geofabrik guys getting alternative easy to remember URLs into their hands).--Extremecarver 18:59, 22 August 2010 (BST)
- I take issue with Extremecarver claiming Cloudmade/Geofabrik having control over the domain names of the project. The domains are controlled by the OSMF and Cloudmade/Geofrabik do not have any control in the OSMF. See my point direct to him here.
Reasons for not accepting
link to appropriate pages on the wiki and forum/ML threads.
For example, Why you should decline.
Find new Server Infrastructure
Setup a new alternative board and organisation
Further work to convince the OSMF and others that the change to the Odbl in its current form is not acceptable
Make it possible for new member to join again OSM without accepting the Odbl
Find a new Project name
Find a logo
Find a domainname
Create a new organisation that owns the domainname and the trademark rights for the project name and logo
The organisation needs rules
The rules should contain clauses that the mapping community is the copyright owner of the data and the organisation only owns the domain names and trademarks. The Community licences its data to the general public, not to the organisation.
Modifying mapping tools like JOSM that they support multiple data servers for down- and uploads
Wee need some information about the project
- Why does the project exist
- Information about the project organisation
- Reasons to join the project
- Legal information