City of Norfolk Buildings/Address Import
This project aims to import City of Norfolk buildings from a city-sourced GIS file.
Import Norfolk's building footprints dataset to help Norfolk mappers create a more effective map. Get highly accurate, city-wide address data.
Data source site: Coming Soon
ODbL Compliance verified: yes
OSM Data Files
This import will be done in sections (tbd) with JOSM
I will set source=City of Norfolk GIS
Data Transformation Results
Data Merge Workflow
- Fetch one tile of converted OSM data
- Open it in JOSM
- Download the corresponding area from the OSM servers as a new layer
- Use manual inspection to look for features that overlap.
- Toggle the OSM layer visibility to help spot overlaps.
- Pay special attention to nodes that have building tags and existing schools (since they are frequently already mapped).
- Make sure to delete buildings from the Norfolk data when tags are copied from the import data to existing OSM data.
- If changes were made to the data downloaded from OSM, upload those first in a separate changeset.
- Upload the buildings into their own changeset.
- Save the resulting OSM file to preserve the resulting OSM IDs.
- Return to step 1.
Since the OSM data is being hand-imported in manageable chunks, conflation with existing data will be handled manually in JOSM. I will prefer existing OSM data and tags over the imported data and will try to apply addressing tags from the Norfolk data as correctly as possible.