Google Summer of Code/2018/GTFS to OSM Staging
From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Data from public transport operators becomes available, either as GTFS format, or as dumps from their internal DB structure.
- Convert the data and read it into PostGIS.
- Do the same for the OSM data related to public transport for the area of operation
- Compare at stop level
- Compare at line level with our route_master relations
- Our route relations describe itinerary variations, i.e. for a given bus line the buses may follow different routes depending on day of week, time of day or period in the year.
- The number of such variations tends to vary over time + stops are added, abolished and replaced/moved.
- So we need to find a way to find the correspondence between sequences of stops of those variations and our route relations.
- Then report to the user when changes occur
- At the same time our route relations tend to 'deteriorate', so it's also good to tell users about 'broken' relations.