Ireland/Events/Dublin Mapping party
Mapping parties are events where anyone can come and participate in the OpenStreetMap project. OpenStreetMap is a free, open source map that can be contributed, edited and used by anyone anywhere. Mapping parties are social events where experienced and new mappers can meet to share and learn more about the project. The events are generally held in a public place, and allow time for discussion, mapping and editing. The event is open to all.
It's fun. It's free. You can help.
More about Mapping parties
- When: Weekend of 6th/7th Feb 2010
- Where: Base is TOG, the Dublin hackerspace in Smithfield
- Getting there: TOG is walkable from city centre, or 30 seconds from Smithfield Luas stop
Twitter hashtag: #osmdublin
- Event schedule:
Saturday 6th: re:public event, including OpenStreetMap workshop and panel discussion. Local mapping starts at 2pm in gallery and panel discussion at 5pm, finishing around 6pm/
Sunday 7th: Meeting in TOG at 12 noon. Surveying afterwards
- To Bring
* GPS device if you have one (some will be available for loan or you can accompany another mapper to gain experience * Camcorder or digital camera (great for rich note-taking) * Pen and paper * Voice recorder if you have one * Broadband dongle * Mains multi-extension leads * Memory card readers * Spare AA batteries * Battery chargers
- Remember to charge any battery-operated devices (GPS, camera, voice recorder,...).
- Weather: Wrap up warmly, rain gear advised.
- RSVP: please let us know that you will join us by adding your name below
We'll be using TOG as a base. More info: http://tog.ie
Mapping Party Suggestions
Please feel free to suggest locations and goals for this mapping event as well as future events.
As part of the re:public Discussion panel User:ManAboutCouch will be giving a brief overview of the OSM project. The talk will take place at 5pm, Saturday 6th Feb in the Temple Bar Gallery on Temple Bar Square: http://osm.org/go/es@R3uAi6--
Some external links about this event:
- TOG, our hosts for the event: http://tog.ie
- Doodle poll to get feedback on the day: http://doodle.com/h5yph5ifkupwn7tm
- Tweet from User:rorym about the event: http://twitter.com/lalonde/status/7922847658
- Post the OpenStreetMap mailing list about the event: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ie/2010-January/000338.html
- Post to the OpenStreetMap Ireland Web Forum about this: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=55144#p55144
- Retweet by skimacker: http://twitter.com/skimacker/status/7923625920
- Retweet by spatialireland: http://twitter.com/spatialireland/status/7923575253
- Follow up post to osm-ie about re:public event: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ie/2010-January/000341.html
- re:public are having a OpenStreetMap workshop and panel: http://www.gradcam.ie/re_public.php